Skip to main content

Answer to Prayer!

I'm so excited!  I have an update on my previous post "Prayer--It Works!"  God is so good!

One of the young men has been attending church regularly since the beginning of July, and the other has hit some humbling road blocks which are grabbing his attention in a powerful way.  He (the latter) will be the focus of my post today.

He, we'll call him "Joe," struggles with alcohol addiction.  He was in a sober-living facility (and sober) for almost a full year before a rather serious relapse a few weeks ago.  After his relapse, he mentioned to his mother that maybe he needs to be in a live-in rehab program instead of just a sober-living facility (the sober-living facility allows him to continue working full time).  He had hesitated to do this because he did not want to quit his job.

I  thought it very wise that he was beginning to understand that he needed something more than the sober-living facility could offer him.  This fact, coupled with the statements that he made to my friend--that he might need personal counseling to beat this addiction and that he needs to get closer to God, really raised my hopes for his salvation and his future.  Those have been my very specific prayers for him for some time now.

He has struggled with this addiction for several years, but I really feel this time that everything is coming together:  he seems to be taking his addiction seriously for the first time (he's not making excuses for it or denying it anymore), and he is humbly accepting his limitations and his inability to beat this on his own.  He also seems to have a strong desire (for the first time) to beat this addiction. I believe that the stable and secure lifestyle that the sober-living facility created for him caused him to see the depth of destruction that his addiction has caused in himself and his loved ones.  For the first time, he could see his addiction (and its effects) from an outsider's perspective.  In short, I believe that he is on the precipice of grabbing hold of and embracing a bright, God-centered future.

Because of his relapse, he has now (for the first time) been charged with a felony, and will go to state prison (or might already be there).  Regardless, he IS in prison now.  In June, when I found out that he wants to get closer to God and that he is open to the idea of personal counseling, I began to pray that the desire to get closer to God and the awareness of the need for personal counseling would grow in him.  As I would pray, Teen Challenge kept coming to my mind.  I know very little of Teen Challenge except it seems to work--these former addicts seem completely sold out to Christ.  It's not just an emotional phase, it's a lifelong connection with God, a deep relationship that many seasoned Christians don't even have.  When he went to prison (last week, I believe), I began to feel like I need to find out more about this program so I can tell him because it combines everything he has been talking about:  a live-in facility and a closer connection to God (although he has no idea how close he will get to God!).  I wasn't sure about the personal counseling part, but as God would have it, I saw two Teen Challenge women outside my grocery store a few days ago, so I was able to ask them several questions and they gave me a flyer.  They definitely have personal counseling.  So this place combines everything he has been seeking in one package.

I'm in awe of God--I have been praying (and I'm KNOW I'm not the only one who has been praying regularly) for him to reach this point. There has been NO SIGN of growth for several years, then ***poof*** within a couple of months there has been incredible change.  Awe-inspiring.  Mind-boggling.  It gives me such hope for my own current struggles.

And guess what?  It looks like I am going to get to visit him tomorrow in the prison.  I'm scared. I know nothing of prison life, protocols for visitation, etc.  But I believe that God wants me to speak into his life.  I also plan to buy him a One-Year Bible and bring it to him.  I feel very humbled that God has chosen me to speak into his life.  We have never spoken to each other.  We only know of each other through a mutual friend.  It will be a little bit awkward, but I hope the Holy Spirit will make us comfortable with each other rather quickly, and that he will be able to receive all that God has for him tomorrow.

Comments

I hope that you got to visit with Joe and that he is on his way to recovery. It is wonderful that you care so much to visit him in prison and want the best for him. Recovery is not an easy road, I've been there. It's great that you're standing by him during this time.

Popular posts from this blog

Nehemiah: Sheep Gate (Symbolism)

hubpages.com http://www.prayfordetroit.com/ As I mentioned in my Nehemiah  post, God has nudged me this summer to study Nehemiah in depth because He has some things He wants to show me.  I am just starting Chapter 5, and I must say it is so exciting and interesting. I have to admit, though, that when I got to Chapter 3, it just looked like one of those boring chapters: it gave all the boring details about each section of the wall of Jerusalem that was being rebuilt, and gave countless names of the people who rebuilt each section.  I was going to skip it and move on to Chapter 4 when I felt the Lord nudge me to look deeper--that there was something here that He wanted to show me.   So I dutifully sought the Lord (and a research book, and the internet!) , and was ASTOUNDED at the incredible layers of symbolism in the names of the gates!  It has turned out to be my favorite chapter so far.  :)  God is incredibly amazing, huh?   The big picture that He has shown me so far?  Eve

Your "Fairy-Tale" Life

Your life may not look like a fairy tale, and it may certainly not FEEL like a fairy tale, but I am going to attempt to prove to you today that your Christian walk parallels a fairy-tale life.  😊  Initially, this may sound almost blasphemous to you, but I am so certain that I received this directly from God.  I pray that it encourages you to believe that God is working in your situation whether you see evidence of it or not.  He is such a good God, and such a big God.  😊 First, I would like to start with the main points that a speaker made at a Girls Ministries camp that I attended a few weeks ago, which were the springboard for what God revealed to me. • It took a lot of courage for Cinderella to respond to the prince’s invitation to the ball because of how her family made her feel. • It also took a lot of courage for Mary to obey and follow God’s plan for her life. • If we agree to follow Jesus and accept His invitation, and keep our eyes on Him, He will take us on a beau

This was amazing!

I'm so sorry.  I AM working on a new post, but to tide you over until then (I should have it up by next Tuesday), I found this on YouTube and was so encouraged and inspired by it.  I will post the story behind the song, and then the link to the song itself.  I hope this blesses you! Story behind the song "Tell Your Heart To Beat Again" Lyric Video Have a bright, beaming, better-than-average day!  :)