Skip to main content

BE FRUITFUL!

I have a friend who is a pastor.  I went to hear him speak on Sunday, and (as usual!) was so inspired by his message.  He used such a basic, simple Scripture, but developed it in a way that was profound and inspiring.

He told us that he was reading Genesis, and he paused when he got to the "be fruitful and multiply" parts in chapters 1 (& 2?).  He asked God why He put "be fruitful and multiply" when it's somewhat redundant:  to "be fruitful" is a very similar way of saying "multiply."  Then he said that God showed him the difference:

  • "Multiply" means to procreate.
  • "Be fruitful," as God explained to my friend, means "live out fully My blessing that I gave you."  In other words, be useful and productive with the life I gave you.
His challenge to us was "How useful am I in the kingdom of God?"

He used a simple analogy to explain what he meant.  He has an orange tree in his back yard. Shortly after he planted it, he noticed many fragrant blossoms, and got very excited because it had always been a dream of his to have an orange tree.  He eagerly anticipated the delicious oranges he would be eating in a short while.  The blossoms then produced tiny, green, immature fruit.  To his great dismay, all of the immature fruit kept dropping off of the tree, leaving him with nothing.  He researched this problem on the internet, and decided to try to self-pollinate the tree.  It worked!  He now enjoys an abundance of delicious oranges!  The tree was finally fruitful.  :)

In the beginning, the tree looked good, produced blossoms, and even tiny, immature fruit, but the tree was not fruitful because it did not produce mature fruit.  It was not useful (except to provide oxygen!), and could not "live out fully" the blessing that it was created to be.

We have all been created for a purpose.  We were not created just to take up space and suck up oxygen from the atmosphere. God created each of us for a specific, unique, divine purpose.  We were not called merely to survive from day to day.  I have such a hard time with that because I find it so difficult to be a single mom, work full time, and enjoy my Wednesday night girls' ministry. During the school year, I struggle so much to keep my head above water mentally and emotionally.  I feel so overwhelmed by my daily responsibilities and unexpected challenges that I can do little more than survive.  

I have tried various ways to overcome this struggle:
  • My Sabbath is a Saturday because I can enjoy more time at rest than I can on Sunday.
  • I have lowered my expectations for maintaining my home (I don't expect it to be 100% neat 100% of the time).
  • I have given up on maintaining the yard.
  • I cook every other night instead of every night (we eat leftovers on the other nights).
  • I treat us to In-N-Out on Friday nights, so I don't have to cook or plan a meal.
  • I spend a couple of hours with the Lord every Saturday morning to recharge my batteries (in addition to church on Sunday, of course).
  • I go to work very early a few times per week so that I can leave early and attend to Carlos' needs after school (before I'm too tired).
So far, nothing works.  I don't know how to maintain this level of peace even in the face of the daily responsibilities and challenges of life.  I really want to learn how.  There must be a way.

I also found it inspiring that my friend had to manually pollinate the tree in order for it to be fruitful.  As I pondered this, I realized that we, too, have to make an effort in order to be fruitful. Fruitfulness is not an intrinsic part of our nature.  We become fruitful when we regularly spend time with God: in His Word, through praise and worship, in prayer, and in fellowship with other believers.  As we spend more time with Him, our character becomes more like His, and He will speak to us and guide us along the path that HE has chosen for our lives.  In that way we will live out FULLY the blessings that He wants to give us.  Meditation with Him fuels our fruitfulness, in the same way that pollination is the key to a fruitful orange tree.

My friend also sought the Lord in the repetition of the sentence "And the Lord saw that it was good." He encouraged us to live out a life that God considers "good."  Maybe part of the key for me is to be inspired by the challenges I face instead of cowering in fear and feeling overwhelmed and frustrated by them.

I hope this inspired you as it did me!  :)  God bless you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nehemiah: Sheep Gate (Symbolism)

hubpages.com http://www.prayfordetroit.com/ As I mentioned in my Nehemiah  post, God has nudged me this summer to study Nehemiah in depth because He has some things He wants to show me.  I am just starting Chapter 5, and I must say it is so exciting and interesting. I have to admit, though, that when I got to Chapter 3, it just looked like one of those boring chapters: it gave all the boring details about each section of the wall of Jerusalem that was being rebuilt, and gave countless names of the people who rebuilt each section.  I was going to skip it and move on to Chapter 4 when I felt the Lord nudge me to look deeper--that there was something here that He wanted to show me.   So I dutifully sought the Lord (and a research book, and the internet!) , and was ASTOUNDED at the incredible layers of symbolism in the names of the gates!  It has turned out to be my favorite chapter so far.  :)  God is incredibly amazing, huh?   The big picture that He has shown me so far?  Eve

Your "Fairy-Tale" Life

Your life may not look like a fairy tale, and it may certainly not FEEL like a fairy tale, but I am going to attempt to prove to you today that your Christian walk parallels a fairy-tale life.  😊  Initially, this may sound almost blasphemous to you, but I am so certain that I received this directly from God.  I pray that it encourages you to believe that God is working in your situation whether you see evidence of it or not.  He is such a good God, and such a big God.  😊 First, I would like to start with the main points that a speaker made at a Girls Ministries camp that I attended a few weeks ago, which were the springboard for what God revealed to me. • It took a lot of courage for Cinderella to respond to the prince’s invitation to the ball because of how her family made her feel. • It also took a lot of courage for Mary to obey and follow God’s plan for her life. • If we agree to follow Jesus and accept His invitation, and keep our eyes on Him, He will take us on a beau

This was amazing!

I'm so sorry.  I AM working on a new post, but to tide you over until then (I should have it up by next Tuesday), I found this on YouTube and was so encouraged and inspired by it.  I will post the story behind the song, and then the link to the song itself.  I hope this blesses you! Story behind the song "Tell Your Heart To Beat Again" Lyric Video Have a bright, beaming, better-than-average day!  :)