Skip to main content

Nehemiah

countlesswonders.com
Disclaimer:  VERY long post.

I was inspired by the sermon that I heard on June 26 at my church.

The speaker was talking about Nehemiah and that despite continuous opposition, he did not give up rebuilding the wall of Jerusalem. The speaker encouraged us by telling us not to give up on our battles that we face currently.  He reminded us that our victory might be just around the corner.  I was touched by that because my biggest battle right now is Carlos' horrible attitude towards me.  It is so discouraging, because I feel like I'm knocking on heaven's door regularly, and there is absolutely no fruit--no sign that God is working behind the scenes.  Intellectually, I understand that is not true, but emotionally it takes a toll.  I just really needed to hear that from him.

I felt a quickening in my spirit as the service was ending.  I felt that God was calling me to examine Nehemiah more closely in my quiet time.  I began yesterday, and spent at least an hour just on Nehemiah chapter 1.  I was astonished at all that God wanted to show me!  I am so excited!  I have no idea what God's plans are, but I will promise to be open to wherever He leads me.  Right now I'm very content to sit at His feet and absorb all that He wants to share with me.

Here's one thing He pointed out to me.  I had not realized this before.

You know how the last sentence of Nehemiah 1 is "For I was the king's cupbearer."  That always seemed so random to me.  Like that sentence belonged in the first verse of chapter 2, not chapter 1. Yesterday it dawned on me the reason it's in chapter 1.

I realized that when Nehemiah was weeping and fasting and praying in verse 4 (because things were bad in Jerusalem), God began to show Nehemiah that HE was going to be the one to rebuild Jerusalem.  God gave Nehemiah his marching orders during the time that he was fasting and praying: God told him to approach the king and request permission to go to Jerusalem and rebuild it. You can tell because the last part of his prayer is "and let Your servant prosper this day, I pray, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man."  So Nehemiah understood what God was calling him to do, and he had determined that he would approach the king "this day" and that he would need God's favor and mercy because this was a daunting task:  he was asking the king to reverse an earlier proclamation to stop rebuilding Jerusalem (Ezra 4:17-21).  In Persia, in that culture, once the king issued a command, nothing could change it, not even the king himself (Esther 8:8, 11-12) (Daniel 6:14-15).

When you read Nehemiah 2, you can see clearly that Nehemiah is definitely afraid (v. 2:   "So I became dreadfully afraid" and v. 4: "Then the king said to me, "What do you request?"  So I prayed to the God of heaven. And I said ...")   Why did he pray as soon as the king asked, "What do you request?"  Because he was scared to tell the king what his request was.

I love it because we do that even today.  We have to do something really hard; we prepare ourselves; we pray ahead of time, and then sometimes we are still wracked with fear and we pray while we're in the moment.  That's what Nehemiah was doing.

God had prepared Nehemiah sometime earlier by positioning him as the king's cupbearer:  a very intimate position that required a lot of trust on the king's part.  As cupbearer, the king would get to know Nehemiah in a much more intimate way than most other royal positions.  They would develop a relationship through which the king would take a personal interest in Nehemiah.  Before Nehemiah started interceding powerfully for his beloved Jerusalem, God had already positioned him to bring about the answer to his prayers.  So profound.  Our God truly is SO big!  When Nehemiah began to work as the king's cupbearer, he had no idea that God was positioning him for something much bigger!  Has God ever done that to you?!  He has done that in my life.

And I just want to recognize Nehemiah's bravery:  he was so scared, BUT HE DID IT SCARED. And look at the amazing blessings for him personally, and for the Israelites as a people.  He would have missed out on so much if he had refused to obey God's call.  I'm so glad he rose to the occasion and pushed through his fear.  :)

And that's just ONE revelation of many that God pointed out to me yesterday.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nehemiah: Sheep Gate (Symbolism)

hubpages.com http://www.prayfordetroit.com/ As I mentioned in my Nehemiah  post, God has nudged me this summer to study Nehemiah in depth because He has some things He wants to show me.  I am just starting Chapter 5, and I must say it is so exciting and interesting. I have to admit, though, that when I got to Chapter 3, it just looked like one of those boring chapters: it gave all the boring details about each section of the wall of Jerusalem that was being rebuilt, and gave countless names of the people who rebuilt each section.  I was going to skip it and move on to Chapter 4 when I felt the Lord nudge me to look deeper--that there was something here that He wanted to show me.   So I dutifully sought the Lord (and a research book, and the internet!) , and was ASTOUNDED at the incredible layers of symbolism in the names of the gates!  It has turned out to be my favorite chapter so far.  :)  God is incredibly amazing, huh?   The big picture that He has shown me so far?  Eve

Your "Fairy-Tale" Life

Your life may not look like a fairy tale, and it may certainly not FEEL like a fairy tale, but I am going to attempt to prove to you today that your Christian walk parallels a fairy-tale life.  😊  Initially, this may sound almost blasphemous to you, but I am so certain that I received this directly from God.  I pray that it encourages you to believe that God is working in your situation whether you see evidence of it or not.  He is such a good God, and such a big God.  😊 First, I would like to start with the main points that a speaker made at a Girls Ministries camp that I attended a few weeks ago, which were the springboard for what God revealed to me. • It took a lot of courage for Cinderella to respond to the prince’s invitation to the ball because of how her family made her feel. • It also took a lot of courage for Mary to obey and follow God’s plan for her life. • If we agree to follow Jesus and accept His invitation, and keep our eyes on Him, He will take us on a beau

This was amazing!

I'm so sorry.  I AM working on a new post, but to tide you over until then (I should have it up by next Tuesday), I found this on YouTube and was so encouraged and inspired by it.  I will post the story behind the song, and then the link to the song itself.  I hope this blesses you! Story behind the song "Tell Your Heart To Beat Again" Lyric Video Have a bright, beaming, better-than-average day!  :)