Skip to main content

The Chinks in My Spiritual Defenses

visualprayer.tumblr.com
In continuing my Nehemiah study, yesterday I felt God telling me to press "Pause" and spend some time reflecting on the first four chapters before I move on to chapter five.

I began to really reflect on the great disrepair of the walls of Jerusalem--that the disrepair of those walls made them very vulnerable to enemy attack and to outside influences.  Those walls were once very strong and made Jerusalem a safe place to dwell.  But the enemy had come in and completely destroyed those walls, in the same way that the Israelites had caused the walls of Jericho to crumble a few centuries (?) earlier.

It seemed a natural jump to ask myself how I let my defenses down spiritually and give Satan a stronghold in certain areas of my life.  I came up with three ways:

  • I take my eyes off of God.
    • I become very "me-focused" and feel entitled to live a happy existence. I fight God on this, striving to convince Him that He needs to create the breakthrough that I need in order to live a happy life.
    • I become consumed by my desire for what I want.  God's sovereignty ceases to matter.\
    • I forget His personal promises to me that He has made over the years.
  • I reflect on similar situations that other people have faced in which the outcome was not favorable.
    • I focus on the fact that God did not do a miracle for them, so He may not do one for me.  I have to fight the depression that ensues.
    • I forget that their situation does not dictate the outcome of MY situation.
  • God has been showing me that because I do not value myself very much, there is a part of me that feels like I don't DESERVE His blessings.
    • I genuinely feel like I may never get the breakthroughs I desire so strongly because my dreams seem so lofty--I vacillate between feeling like I deserve them and believing that someone like me can never have them.  Other people can have the same blessings that I dream of, but I cannot.
I then began to ask myself how to repair these "chinks" in my walls.  There was only one way that I could see:
  • Keep my eyes focused SOLELY on HIM.
    • Remember all the miracles He has done for me over the past several years.
    • Remember His personal promises to me (especially Scriptures)
    • Remember that He is a good Daddy, and He genuinely loves me and wants to bless me (Eph. 3:20, Romans 8:32)
    • Spend regular time in His Word and in prayer, sitting at His feet and allowing Him to speak His truth into my life.
    • Remember that I walk by faith, not by sight (II Cor. 5:7).
I am no so naive to think that all of my problems will be magically solved and will have the outcome that I desire.  I DEFINITELY believe that everything works together for good (Rom. 8:28), that He has a divine purpose for everything we go through, and that He will use what Satan meant for evil and turn it into a blessing somehow.

It is so much easier to focus on Him in the summer time when I don't have to work.  I am going to start praying now that He will equip me to continue in this positive mindset during the school year, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nehemiah: Sheep Gate (Symbolism)

hubpages.com http://www.prayfordetroit.com/ As I mentioned in my Nehemiah  post, God has nudged me this summer to study Nehemiah in depth because He has some things He wants to show me.  I am just starting Chapter 5, and I must say it is so exciting and interesting. I have to admit, though, that when I got to Chapter 3, it just looked like one of those boring chapters: it gave all the boring details about each section of the wall of Jerusalem that was being rebuilt, and gave countless names of the people who rebuilt each section.  I was going to skip it and move on to Chapter 4 when I felt the Lord nudge me to look deeper--that there was something here that He wanted to show me.   So I dutifully sought the Lord (and a research book, and the internet!) , and was ASTOUNDED at the incredible layers of symbolism in the names of the gates!  It has turned out to be my favorite chapter so far.  :)  God is incredibly amazing, huh?   The big picture that He has shown me so far?  Eve

Your "Fairy-Tale" Life

Your life may not look like a fairy tale, and it may certainly not FEEL like a fairy tale, but I am going to attempt to prove to you today that your Christian walk parallels a fairy-tale life.  😊  Initially, this may sound almost blasphemous to you, but I am so certain that I received this directly from God.  I pray that it encourages you to believe that God is working in your situation whether you see evidence of it or not.  He is such a good God, and such a big God.  😊 First, I would like to start with the main points that a speaker made at a Girls Ministries camp that I attended a few weeks ago, which were the springboard for what God revealed to me. • It took a lot of courage for Cinderella to respond to the prince’s invitation to the ball because of how her family made her feel. • It also took a lot of courage for Mary to obey and follow God’s plan for her life. • If we agree to follow Jesus and accept His invitation, and keep our eyes on Him, He will take us on a beau

This was amazing!

I'm so sorry.  I AM working on a new post, but to tide you over until then (I should have it up by next Tuesday), I found this on YouTube and was so encouraged and inspired by it.  I will post the story behind the song, and then the link to the song itself.  I hope this blesses you! Story behind the song "Tell Your Heart To Beat Again" Lyric Video Have a bright, beaming, better-than-average day!  :)