Skip to main content

Leadership Attitude

So often, when I sit down to settle in with God's Word, whether it be my One-Year Bible reading of the day, a particular Bible Study, or some other impetus to read the Bible, I beg God to give me some new insight or revelation.  Sometimes I feel so guilty, like I'm so selfish, begging God for more and more of Him.  Then I try to talk myself out of it because I am pretty sure that God never feels that way.  I'm pretty sure He likes us to want more of Him on a regular basis.

Then there are those times when He reveals some weakness that He is trying to help me overcome. Those are not the "fun" days of revelation.  He's always so gentle and respectful in His admonishment, but it is still difficult to receive.  That is how I feel about His latest revelation to me.  *sigh*

In my effort to focus on Him this summer, I have finished one Bible Study (Joshua), am beginning another Bible Study (Beth Moore--Daniel), and am beginning my own private study on Nehemiah. God has slowly been bringing to light three different leadership styles:  Moses, Joshua, and Nehemiah.  I won't go into detail here (it would be a SUPER LONG post), but I will give the overview of what God is showing me.

#1:  If He calls me into a leadership position, He expects me to own it and embrace it.  Period.  Do it in fear and trembling, but fake it till I make it.  Anything less is doing Him an injustice and not showing gratitude that He has chosen to use ME (with all my foibles and weaknesses) over anyone else for that particular task.  Ouch.  Okay.  Point taken.  At this point of my Christian walk, I have a responsibility to teach people about the Lord if He opens the doors for that.

#2:  If I show weakness or self-doubt, I will sabotage what God has called me to accomplish.  People will sense my self-doubt, and will then doubt me as a leader.  I will then have very few faithful followers, and/or people will constantly question my choices, opinions, and decisions as a leader.  And who could blame them?  I will probably be doubting my own choices.  I will constantly fight against this mentality of doubt in myself and others.

#3:  True leaders inspire people to follow them wholeheartedly.  Keyword:  INSPIRE
I believe that Joshua was very scared at the end of Moses' life and the beginning of his leadership, despite the fact that he had taken on various leadership roles during the forty years in the desert. Several times he is told by Moses, the Lord, and the people to be "strong and courageous."  People only need reminders to be courageous if they are afraid to do something.  HOWEVER, he NEVER showed weakness.  From the very beginning of the book of Joshua, when God told him, "Command the people ..." he did it.  I really got a sense that he did it with a calm boldness, authority, and confidence that I don't believe he felt at the beginning.  However, the Israelites heard the tone of authority and confidence, and did everything he asked without question.

The same can certainly NOT be said of Moses, although there were other circumstances that contributed to the constant rebellion in his time.  It IS true that Moses doubted himself from the very beginning (at the burning bush).  I believe part of his problem was that the Israelites sensed his self-doubt, and that contributed somewhat to the rebellion he constantly faced.

Nehemiah is interesting, because it seems to me that he seemed extremely confident and even excited about his God-appointed responsibility to rebuild Jerusalem.  It was a daunting task, and he faced extreme opposition, but he never wavered, never doubted, never crumbled under pressure.  When the Israelites who were under him began to complain, doubt, and crumble, he always found a solution to the opposition and inspired and encouraged them.

I would like to be a Nehemiah, but right now I'm a Moses.  I'm going to work on my "leadership confidence," though!  :)  There IS hope for me because nothing is impossible with our God!

Here's a video clip entitled, "Think God Can't Use You?"  I find it inspirational.  I hope you do, too.  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nehemiah: Sheep Gate (Symbolism)

hubpages.com http://www.prayfordetroit.com/ As I mentioned in my Nehemiah  post, God has nudged me this summer to study Nehemiah in depth because He has some things He wants to show me.  I am just starting Chapter 5, and I must say it is so exciting and interesting. I have to admit, though, that when I got to Chapter 3, it just looked like one of those boring chapters: it gave all the boring details about each section of the wall of Jerusalem that was being rebuilt, and gave countless names of the people who rebuilt each section.  I was going to skip it and move on to Chapter 4 when I felt the Lord nudge me to look deeper--that there was something here that He wanted to show me.   So I dutifully sought the Lord (and a research book, and the internet!) , and was ASTOUNDED at the incredible layers of symbolism in the names of the gates!  It has turned out to be my favorite chapter so far.  :)  God is incredibly amazing, huh?   The big picture that He has shown me so far?  Eve

Your "Fairy-Tale" Life

Your life may not look like a fairy tale, and it may certainly not FEEL like a fairy tale, but I am going to attempt to prove to you today that your Christian walk parallels a fairy-tale life.  😊  Initially, this may sound almost blasphemous to you, but I am so certain that I received this directly from God.  I pray that it encourages you to believe that God is working in your situation whether you see evidence of it or not.  He is such a good God, and such a big God.  😊 First, I would like to start with the main points that a speaker made at a Girls Ministries camp that I attended a few weeks ago, which were the springboard for what God revealed to me. • It took a lot of courage for Cinderella to respond to the prince’s invitation to the ball because of how her family made her feel. • It also took a lot of courage for Mary to obey and follow God’s plan for her life. • If we agree to follow Jesus and accept His invitation, and keep our eyes on Him, He will take us on a beau

This was amazing!

I'm so sorry.  I AM working on a new post, but to tide you over until then (I should have it up by next Tuesday), I found this on YouTube and was so encouraged and inspired by it.  I will post the story behind the song, and then the link to the song itself.  I hope this blesses you! Story behind the song "Tell Your Heart To Beat Again" Lyric Video Have a bright, beaming, better-than-average day!  :)