Skip to main content

Blast from the Past!!!

So, I go to take Carlos to swimming lessons yesterday, and they apparently don't have him signed up (this is only the second time this summer they've done this to me ... aaargh!). I go to talk to the lady (actually, teenie bopper) and notice a tall, somewhat slender Asian next to me. Looks vaguely familiar, but I honestly can't place him, so I just chalk it up to my imagination.

Later, after Carlos gets placed in a class, he approaches me, kind of points to me, and says, "You look familiar. ... Camilla? ... Camela? ..." I'm like in shock. He knows my name--well, almost. So it wasn't my imagination. We do know each other. Before I tell him my name, I'm frantically attempting to replay every moment of the last ten or twelve years of my life to figure out how I know him. I'm actually embarrassed that he knows me and I don't remember enough about him to place him in my life.

So I finally take pity on him and tell him my name. Then I had to ask him his name (how embarrassing). And I still can't place him even with the name. So I had to ask, "Where do we know each other from?" and he says, "Campus Corner."

OH MY GOSH!!! okay, let me explain. I worked my way through college (as in I worked 40-50 hours per week). When I transfered to UCLA in the Spring of 1989, I desperately needed a job. Then I found out that if you work in food service (a.k.a. fast food joints) on campus you get 1 free food coupon for every two hours you work. For a desperate, self-supporting student, this is literally almost better than gold. So I applied, and got the job at a fast food joint called "Campus Corner." I worked there from Spring 1989 until the Fall of 1994 (when I had Ashley), minus the year I went to France. I saw tons of college students come and go. They let me work full time, so I knew everyone on staff there. He worked there in the first two years that I was there. I have gained a ton of weight since then, and he still recognized me.

We chatted quite a while and chatted more today. Honestly, that was a total YUCK job. Humiliating many times. A total grease pit. It was hard work (cleaning grills, mopping the greasy floor, doing dishes all day, lugging heavy boxes of food, taking a large, disgusting-smelling trash carrier down the middle of the main walkway at UCLA to the main dumpster, and I could go on and on). But that was truly, hands down, the FUNNEST job I ever had (and I'm aware that that may not actually be a word). The variety of people I worked with was amazing; their antics were just hilarious; in short, the people I worked with made the job so much fun. That was the job that started the process of me coming out of my shell. We chatted about the other supervisors we hung out with. The fun things we did with them. Their quirks.

... and he's a graphic design major. So I'm going to start asking him Photoshop and design questions. Maybe if I just ask him one or two a day he won't mind (?!). It's kind of funny because he totally looks like this ultra-conservative, straight-laced Asian, but he works for "Low Rider" Magazine. Thought that was interesting. And he uses Photoshop every day. Lucky him :)

I'm just so excited right now! I just couldn't resist posting right now even though I have a ton of things I should be doing. So I'll sign off now and be productive *grimace* :-/

Comments

tjep said…
I think that is neat when someone from the past recognizes you!!! What a small world, eh?

Popular posts from this blog

Nehemiah: Sheep Gate (Symbolism)

hubpages.com http://www.prayfordetroit.com/ As I mentioned in my Nehemiah  post, God has nudged me this summer to study Nehemiah in depth because He has some things He wants to show me.  I am just starting Chapter 5, and I must say it is so exciting and interesting. I have to admit, though, that when I got to Chapter 3, it just looked like one of those boring chapters: it gave all the boring details about each section of the wall of Jerusalem that was being rebuilt, and gave countless names of the people who rebuilt each section.  I was going to skip it and move on to Chapter 4 when I felt the Lord nudge me to look deeper--that there was something here that He wanted to show me.   So I dutifully sought the Lord (and a research book, and the internet!) , and was ASTOUNDED at the incredible layers of symbolism in the names of the gates!  It has turned out to be my favorite chapter so far.  :)  God is incredibly amazing, huh?   The big picture that He has shown me so far?  Eve

Your "Fairy-Tale" Life

Your life may not look like a fairy tale, and it may certainly not FEEL like a fairy tale, but I am going to attempt to prove to you today that your Christian walk parallels a fairy-tale life.  😊  Initially, this may sound almost blasphemous to you, but I am so certain that I received this directly from God.  I pray that it encourages you to believe that God is working in your situation whether you see evidence of it or not.  He is such a good God, and such a big God.  😊 First, I would like to start with the main points that a speaker made at a Girls Ministries camp that I attended a few weeks ago, which were the springboard for what God revealed to me. • It took a lot of courage for Cinderella to respond to the prince’s invitation to the ball because of how her family made her feel. • It also took a lot of courage for Mary to obey and follow God’s plan for her life. • If we agree to follow Jesus and accept His invitation, and keep our eyes on Him, He will take us on a beau

This was amazing!

I'm so sorry.  I AM working on a new post, but to tide you over until then (I should have it up by next Tuesday), I found this on YouTube and was so encouraged and inspired by it.  I will post the story behind the song, and then the link to the song itself.  I hope this blesses you! Story behind the song "Tell Your Heart To Beat Again" Lyric Video Have a bright, beaming, better-than-average day!  :)