Skip to main content

Bravery 101--What is it?

I started reading this book called Worth Dying For:  A Navy Seal's Call to a Nation.  I HIGHLY recommend it.  I agree completely with his views and I believe much more attention needs to be brought to the truth that is presented in this book, or our country will suffer greatly.

Here's the link to find out more:  Worth Dying For


I feel like everything I'm immersing myself in this summer connects to my little Joshua Bible Study I'm doing.  I'm glad.  I like when God does that--to me it signifies that there is a "big picture" that He's trying to show me {He has thus far been unsuccessful!  But I am still trying.  :) }

Anyway, I have reached the part where he really discusses bravery in a profound, practical way.  I felt so touched because one of the first things he discusses in his book is that real heroes are the average human being doing the right thing on a day-to-day basis.  And he mentioned moms.  I just really needed to hear that.  My daughter tells me on a regular basis that I'm her hero, and it makes me uncomfortable because that's a lot to live up to.  But his words gave me the extra encouragement that I needed this week to just keep on doing what I'm doing because it's the right thing to do.

I am inspired by his chapter on bravery because I am so often scared to do the unknown.

Case in point:  shortly after my ex moved out (before the divorce proceedings started), our front porch light went out (not the bulb, the fixture).  This was during Christmas time.  I know next to nothing about electricity except that it scares me ... and if you're working with electricity you need to turn off the breakers.  Oh, and connect "hot" with "hot."  Something like that.  And there's something called grounding which protects appliances from shorting out.  Notice the abundance of technological terms here.  ;)

Anyway, I bought a new porch light (the fixture), and I was absolutely wracked with fear every time I thought of changing the fixture.  So, literally, it sat on a table in my backyard until the NEXT CHRISTMAS. I wish I could say I'm exaggerating, but unfortunately that would be a lie.  That's how long fear was my master in this situation.

I promised myself when December rolled around again that I was definitely going to bite the bullet and REPLACE THAT PORCH LIGHT before my Christmas break was over.  So, one day, I told myself that I was just going to do it.  Fixing the light was Priority #1 that day.  I was sooooooo afraid.  I turned off all the breakers in my house (much to the dismay of my son, who was playing his video games).  I read the instructions at least five times, visually trying to walk through the steps in my mind several times before attempting to conquer the unknown.  Long story short, it took about half an hour, and I cannot describe the level of elation I felt when I flipped the switch and the light went on!!!!  I could not have been happier (or prouder) if I had conquered an entire army all by myself.  :D  Honestly.  I know it sounds crazy, but it's true.  Afterward, I remember quietly chiding myself that I put off for one year doing something that took only a half hour to do.

Since then, I have had to attempt many unfamiliar situations, and conquer many fears--several plumbing issues, car issues, etc.  Most of the time, God has allowed me to figure out the solution on my own.  A few times I have had to call in reinforcements. {So humbling.  Not fun.}  But I am aware that He can fix the problem any way He desires.

Maybe that's why this book is really speaking to me.  I'm doing a lot of conquering fears lately.

I also think about Joshua and his inexperienced Israelite army.  Those soldiers pushed through their fears, conquered the impossible, gained A LOT of character in the process, and gained a lot of confidence as well.

What fear is God asking you to conquer today?  My prayer is that you will choose to accept His challenge so that you can enjoy the full measure of His blessings, and gain a lot of confidence in yourself as well.  God bless you!  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nehemiah: Sheep Gate (Symbolism)

hubpages.com http://www.prayfordetroit.com/ As I mentioned in my Nehemiah  post, God has nudged me this summer to study Nehemiah in depth because He has some things He wants to show me.  I am just starting Chapter 5, and I must say it is so exciting and interesting. I have to admit, though, that when I got to Chapter 3, it just looked like one of those boring chapters: it gave all the boring details about each section of the wall of Jerusalem that was being rebuilt, and gave countless names of the people who rebuilt each section.  I was going to skip it and move on to Chapter 4 when I felt the Lord nudge me to look deeper--that there was something here that He wanted to show me.   So I dutifully sought the Lord (and a research book, and the internet!) , and was ASTOUNDED at the incredible layers of symbolism in the names of the gates!  It has turned out to be my favorite chapter so far.  :)  God is incredibly amazing, huh?   The big picture that He has shown me so far?  Eve

Your "Fairy-Tale" Life

Your life may not look like a fairy tale, and it may certainly not FEEL like a fairy tale, but I am going to attempt to prove to you today that your Christian walk parallels a fairy-tale life.  😊  Initially, this may sound almost blasphemous to you, but I am so certain that I received this directly from God.  I pray that it encourages you to believe that God is working in your situation whether you see evidence of it or not.  He is such a good God, and such a big God.  😊 First, I would like to start with the main points that a speaker made at a Girls Ministries camp that I attended a few weeks ago, which were the springboard for what God revealed to me. • It took a lot of courage for Cinderella to respond to the prince’s invitation to the ball because of how her family made her feel. • It also took a lot of courage for Mary to obey and follow God’s plan for her life. • If we agree to follow Jesus and accept His invitation, and keep our eyes on Him, He will take us on a beau

This was amazing!

I'm so sorry.  I AM working on a new post, but to tide you over until then (I should have it up by next Tuesday), I found this on YouTube and was so encouraged and inspired by it.  I will post the story behind the song, and then the link to the song itself.  I hope this blesses you! Story behind the song "Tell Your Heart To Beat Again" Lyric Video Have a bright, beaming, better-than-average day!  :)