Skip to main content

Spiritual Snippet of the Day

My One-Year Bible reading today included I Kings 18--one of my FAVORITE chapters in the entire Bible!!  No matter how many times I read it, each time I am struck anew by how powerfully God's omnipotence is displayed in this chapter.  

I am struck by one of the minor characters as well--Obadiah.  He was so scared to tell King Ahab that he had seen Elijah because he was sure he would be killed.  Likely this had happened to several people already over the course of the three years of drought.  In spite of his fear, he obeyed, and his life was spared.  

I had to make a phone call today to follow up on something that God might be doing in my life--an unanticipated change of course.  I was so scared to make the phone call.  I delayed, using every excuse I could think of (except housework--I hate housework).  Finally, I felt compelled to make the call, so I did it in fear and trepidation.   I was not able to speak with the person, so I will call back on Monday.  How could I be so afraid to make a simple phone call when Obadiah was in fear for his life?  In comparison, my task was completely non-threatening.  I see myself as such a spiritual wimp sometimes.  I only obey because I'm scared to miss out on God's blessings if I don't obey.

I am struck by the fact that this incredibly evil king actually obeyed Elijah when he was told to bring the eight hundred idolatrous priests to Mt. Carmel.  The king had been searching for Elijah relentlessly and unceasingly for three years with one goal in mind--to kill Elijah.  As soon as he saw Elijah, you would think he would give the orders to kill Elijah on the spot.  Instead, he converses with him, and obeys his order to gather all of the priests of Baal and Asherah on Mt. Carmel.  Fascinating, the amazing power of our God.  It is a comfort to me that my enemies cannot prevail over me unless God allows it--and God will ALWAYS have my back.  He protected Elijah against all odds and he will protect us against all odds as well.  This is a perfect demonstration of Isaiah 54:17--"No weapon formed against you shall prosper."  God still had work for Elijah to do, so nothing that Ahab or Jezebel could do would snuff out his life until God was ready for Elijah to die.  The same holds true for us!  No one can destroy us until God decides that our work here on earth is done.

We serve a good Daddy, who loves us just the way we are, and will always take care of us.

God bless you!  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nehemiah: Sheep Gate (Symbolism)

hubpages.com http://www.prayfordetroit.com/ As I mentioned in my Nehemiah  post, God has nudged me this summer to study Nehemiah in depth because He has some things He wants to show me.  I am just starting Chapter 5, and I must say it is so exciting and interesting. I have to admit, though, that when I got to Chapter 3, it just looked like one of those boring chapters: it gave all the boring details about each section of the wall of Jerusalem that was being rebuilt, and gave countless names of the people who rebuilt each section.  I was going to skip it and move on to Chapter 4 when I felt the Lord nudge me to look deeper--that there was something here that He wanted to show me.   So I dutifully sought the Lord (and a research book, and the internet!) , and was ASTOUNDED at the incredible layers of symbolism in the names of the gates!  It has turned out to be my favorite chapter so far.  :)  God is incredibly amazing, huh?   The big picture that He has shown me so far?  Eve

Your "Fairy-Tale" Life

Your life may not look like a fairy tale, and it may certainly not FEEL like a fairy tale, but I am going to attempt to prove to you today that your Christian walk parallels a fairy-tale life.  😊  Initially, this may sound almost blasphemous to you, but I am so certain that I received this directly from God.  I pray that it encourages you to believe that God is working in your situation whether you see evidence of it or not.  He is such a good God, and such a big God.  😊 First, I would like to start with the main points that a speaker made at a Girls Ministries camp that I attended a few weeks ago, which were the springboard for what God revealed to me. • It took a lot of courage for Cinderella to respond to the prince’s invitation to the ball because of how her family made her feel. • It also took a lot of courage for Mary to obey and follow God’s plan for her life. • If we agree to follow Jesus and accept His invitation, and keep our eyes on Him, He will take us on a beau

This was amazing!

I'm so sorry.  I AM working on a new post, but to tide you over until then (I should have it up by next Tuesday), I found this on YouTube and was so encouraged and inspired by it.  I will post the story behind the song, and then the link to the song itself.  I hope this blesses you! Story behind the song "Tell Your Heart To Beat Again" Lyric Video Have a bright, beaming, better-than-average day!  :)