Skip to main content

Relaxing ... Refreshing ... Adventure

WARNING: MANY PICTURES!!

We never go on day trips, but this week (to take the kids' minds off the fact that Daddy is gone--in the Philippines), I took the kids to Santa Barbara. I made it a surprise (which I don't often do), and we had a relaxing day together. And, of course, I took a gazillion pictures (actually 64). So, after a lot of painstakingly difficult choices, I have narrowed the pictures I will post to "only" about 10. So, family, sit back and enjoy, and friends, skim through them quickly :)

The day started with the L-O-N-G ride (2 1/2 hours to be exact), and the proverbial "Are we there yet?" with a little twist: Ashley would ask "Are we halfway there yet?" Are we 3/4 of the way?" etc. You get the picture. They were great in the car until the last 20 minutes or so.



We started our time there with a nice little picnic at this really neat park. Here are some pictures:

This picture doesn't really do the park justice, but it will give you a general idea of how beautiful it was.



We sat on a bench to eat.





I forgot to bring cups for the Sparkling Cider, but we didn't let that deter us: we just drank out of the bottle, lol! Ashley had fun pretending she was drinking wine, and little brother Carlos had to follow suit:






The tree was calling to them so they had to climb it (something they don't get to do here at home).







They enjoyed climbing on the rocks and exploring I'm-not-sure-what.







There were turtles sunning themselves on the rocks, and Carlos got to touch one (that was actually the highlight of his day, lol!).







We then moved on to the Santa Barbara Mission. I especially enjoyed seeing the artifacts. I could spend a good hour or so there reading the pamphlet and the signs they have posted.




After visiting the mission, we went shopping on State Street. I agreed to endure about 1 1/2 hours of shopping torture so Ashley could enjoy the shops. I'm generous to a fault, huh?! ;)



Next was a stop to the wharf, where the kids really tripped out on seeing a very detailed sand sculpture. I took a picture, but wouldn't cha know, it didn't turn out. Oh well. That just means we'll have to go back again :)




They really enjoyed playing on the beach. The sand is so ultra fine, and Carlos was fascinated by the rocks and driftwood.




He enjoyed collecting rocks. I told him he was allowed to choose one to bring home. Did you know that collecting rocks on the beach is like American Idol? I, too, was confused until Carlos explained that on American Idol they pick which ones they don't want (according to him), and he had to do the same thing. Seriously, he cracks us up all the time.






This is Ashley's creation while we were relaxing at the beach. Very cool, huh? (WWJD) I "helped you" by darkening the letters in Photoshop because they were hard to see.






While walking along the street and boardwalk, we saw these and thought they were so cool. We want to rent them the next time we come.








We ended the day with a trip to Italy ... well, that's what we thought when we went to this quaint authentic Italian restaurant. It was so Italian ... the cafe-type setting, the elegant but very simple table settings, the excellent food--even authentic Italian pizza and Italian bottled water (like Perrier). The only thing they were missing was gelato--Italian ice cream (and authentic Italian ice cream is the best in the world--I promise!!)




This is a picture of the kids at the restaurant.






We had such a relaxing and fun time exploring Santa Barbara. I feel like we were on vacation for the whole weekend. It was very refreshing. What a blessing to be able to do that.




Oh, and one more picture for your viewing pleasure, lol! Every once in a while all the elements of photography magically come together for me at the same moment: the subject, the lighting, the angles, the camera settings, etc. I say "magically" because at this point I don't know enough about my camera's settings to purposely set them for a particular shot. Plus, part of photography is "magic" in the sense that there's always some stuff beyond your control and sometimes you just get lucky. I didn't pose this shot at all. In fact, I was in a huge hurry to get it because it was supposed to be a candid. But, I wasn't sly enough ... just as I was about to press the shutter, she looked at me, but didn't smile. This is my favorite photo of the day. It has a very edgy beach feeling, in my opinion, and there seems to be such an intensity in her expression. SHE hates the picture, but I love it. It captures so much of what I like about the beach: her hair is wind-blown, the lighting is a little harsh, especially against the backdrop of the sand, even the color (and style) of her shirt.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like a fun day! It's nice to get away from the ordinary sometimes! I love the pictures! The kids are getting so big :(
Anonymous said…
I ended up posting my comment anonymously b/c it wouldn't let me do it the normal way for some reason! Love you!
Michelle
tjep said…
Ditto on the last comment! Love your pics!

Popular posts from this blog

Nehemiah: Sheep Gate (Symbolism)

hubpages.com http://www.prayfordetroit.com/ As I mentioned in my Nehemiah  post, God has nudged me this summer to study Nehemiah in depth because He has some things He wants to show me.  I am just starting Chapter 5, and I must say it is so exciting and interesting. I have to admit, though, that when I got to Chapter 3, it just looked like one of those boring chapters: it gave all the boring details about each section of the wall of Jerusalem that was being rebuilt, and gave countless names of the people who rebuilt each section.  I was going to skip it and move on to Chapter 4 when I felt the Lord nudge me to look deeper--that there was something here that He wanted to show me.   So I dutifully sought the Lord (and a research book, and the internet!) , and was ASTOUNDED at the incredible layers of symbolism in the names of the gates!  It has turned out to be my favorite chapter so far.  :)  God is incredibly amazing, huh?   The big picture that He has shown me so far?  Eve

Your "Fairy-Tale" Life

Your life may not look like a fairy tale, and it may certainly not FEEL like a fairy tale, but I am going to attempt to prove to you today that your Christian walk parallels a fairy-tale life.  😊  Initially, this may sound almost blasphemous to you, but I am so certain that I received this directly from God.  I pray that it encourages you to believe that God is working in your situation whether you see evidence of it or not.  He is such a good God, and such a big God.  😊 First, I would like to start with the main points that a speaker made at a Girls Ministries camp that I attended a few weeks ago, which were the springboard for what God revealed to me. • It took a lot of courage for Cinderella to respond to the prince’s invitation to the ball because of how her family made her feel. • It also took a lot of courage for Mary to obey and follow God’s plan for her life. • If we agree to follow Jesus and accept His invitation, and keep our eyes on Him, He will take us on a beau

This was amazing!

I'm so sorry.  I AM working on a new post, but to tide you over until then (I should have it up by next Tuesday), I found this on YouTube and was so encouraged and inspired by it.  I will post the story behind the song, and then the link to the song itself.  I hope this blesses you! Story behind the song "Tell Your Heart To Beat Again" Lyric Video Have a bright, beaming, better-than-average day!  :)