Skip to main content

A Boy's Paradise

That's where else we went on Saturday. Just me and my boy (and a friend). Ashley was at Winter Camp. That's probably a good thing, because I'm sure she would have been extremely bored--unless you count checking out the hot guys in uniform ;)

Another serendipitous discovery was this Coast Guard Open House. It was the coolest thing. Apparently they do this every year (so you know where we'll be on the first Saturday in March for the next several years!). We got to go all the way to the top of this lighthouse (the light was fascinating, and the view was really neat).

While we were waiting in line to go in the lighthouse, Carlos saw this and it immediately attracted his attention. "I wanna go see that, Mommy." So we did. It is an actual Coast Guard boat with guns. He was in heaven, I think :)









He spent the majority of the time fiddling with the guns. He was amazed that they are actually real!



Of course, he had to push every button on the control panel, lol! Just look at the expression on his face. He's really concentrating.
This was how happy he was after getting off the boat with guns. He went on another boat and two helicopters.



This is one of the guys explaining something to Carlos about the equipment. They were so friendly--all of them.


As we were leaving, he tells me, "I wish I could be big already so I can have that job (the boat with the guns)." Yeah ... uh, mama's in no hurry for you to grow up and put your life on the line for our country. But at least that's better than his other choice--he's fixated on being a fighter pilot. He'll probably end up being neither (I don't know of many people who chose their profession at the tender young age of seven), but it makes my heart go pitter patter anyway. The sacrifices that the men and women of our Armed Forces make (as well as the sacrifices of their families--HELLO!) amazes me. I thank God for them because I don't have it in me to do that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm with you. Natasha told me one time she wished she was "big". I told her she shouldn't be in a hurry to grow up, she needed to enjoy being "little".

I also am thankful for the military and the sacrifices they and their families make. I don't think I could do it either.
tjep said…
Wow, I know Garrett would have loved that boat! How fun for Carlos! And how nice that you got some quality time with Carlos!

Popular posts from this blog

Just another day ...

Today was a full day. The workers put in our patio door ... sooooooooo excited to have this door!!! The pictures look much less than impressive b/c I didn't take time to play around with them in Photoshop (CSI: Miami is on so I'm glued to the T.V, plus I have a huge load of laundry to fold still). I'm so thrilled to have this door that, good pic or not, I have to share. Like I said, we've never done anything like this before, so every little thing excites me beyond belief :-D They worked on it all day, having to break out a rather large section of the wall, take out a window and door, and move our electrical outlet and porch light. And as you can tell, they have to finish tomorrow. This is the view from the inside: This is the view from the outside: It was strange to have them in my house. But apparently, in deference to my "feminine ears," they decided to refrain from using their Spanish cuss words. That was nice :) Plus our washer is on the blink (has bee...

Favorite Things

Things that make me smile and sometimes laugh: my family Starbucks with friends reading blogs :) parking the car in the driveway of our "new" house, lol! Oh, I guess I've forgotten to take a picture to show, huh? bantering with Ashley (the good kind of bantering--not the kind that gives me gray hairs!) My Missionettes girls (I think we've already been over the fact that even though they all have parents, they're still "my" girls!) breakfast with friends (Hi, Teena!) my new XTi :) Photoshop Elements (one of my best friends 'cause it makes me look like I take good pictures, lol!) scrapbooking (digital and regular) Crock Pot dinners (If I wasn't a Christian I would worship the person(s) who invented it) women friends in general the words Carlos mispronounces (washmouth instead of mouthwash, it's "between the rules" instead of "against the rules," and "overfloat" instead of overflow) I, of course encourag...

"Cool" Lunch

I usually make Ashley take her lunch three days out of the week (she "gets" to buy on the other two days, even though she doesn't actually eat the food--part of the whole "fit in with the crowd" issue) . I was having a SERIOUSLY hard time getting her to bring her lunch, and it occurred to me one day that if she took "fancier" sandwiches, she might not fight it so much. So ... I started making Chicken Salad and getting various toppings (she likes the jars of roasted peppers, pepperoncinis, alfalfa sprouts, tomato, etc.) as well as buying bolillos or other fancier sandwich breads. That went over well. It went over so well that her friends would ask for a taste, and rave about how yummy the sandwich was. They were actually jealous of Ashley's lunch (yeah! now she won't be the "geek" who brings her lunch; she'll be the girl who brings cool lunches--mission accomplished and then some!) . One of her friends I know rather well, because...