Skip to main content

Self-Sacrifice



In June I had the beautiful and long-awaited privilege of participating in a camp for foster kids.  It was a marvelous, life-changing experience that blessed me and challenged me tremendously.  Each counselor has the privilege of being “Jesus with skin on” for only two campers (children); this enables us to give the children our undivided attention, something they often lack in their daily life.  My role as a counselor was to put myself on the back burner and give all of myself to these two precious girls for four full days.  At about the halfway point, I began to silently complain because I was tired of giving and giving—I just wanted a LITTLE BIT OF TIME to make it all about me.  Then it dawned on me how great God truly is—He is big enough and generous enough to derive pleasure from giving Himself fully to each human being on this planet every single day.

As I pondered this astonishing reality, I began to have a new appreciation for His greatness.  There are billions of people on this planet, and God enjoys giving endlessly to each one of us; He asks for so little in return.  In truth, He is the only one capable of giving on that scale.  I began to think of all the people who have ever existed, from Adam and Eve until now, and all those who will exist in the future.  God gives Himself fully to each one, whether they know Him or not.  We, in our humanity, cannot even come close to giving of ourselves on that scale.  Yet we are called to give what we can.
God’s genius is clearly revealed in His relational plan for humanity.  He has created us to need and serve each other.  We succeed best at life when we lean on each other.  Some Scriptures that attest to this are:


The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense.  Proverbs 27:9

Wounds from a friend are better than many kisses from an enemy.  Proverbs 27:6

Whoever walks with the wise will become wise; whoever walks with fools will suffer harm.  Proverbs 13:20

So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.                
 I Thessalonians 5:11

That is precisely why God created family.  We do not have the capacity to give of ourselves completely to everyone we encounter; HOWEVER, we can give of ourselves to a select few people.  God has chosen some people for us (our family) and others we meet along life’s journey (extended family and friends).  To those people in our most intimate circle we are called to offer our lives as a living sacrifice.  It is counter to our selfish nature (at least, it is definitely counter to MY selfish nature), but, paradoxically, God has designed us to be most content when we are giving of ourselves to others.  When we can fight the urge to be selfish, we will find great satisfaction in sacrificing ourselves for those we are called to love.  I cannot explain it—I just know it’s true.

Some of the most miserable people I know are also the most self-absorbed.  They live their entire lives in a persistent, passionate drive to manipulate everyone they know into meeting their needs and desires all the time.  They expend exorbitant amounts of energy, time, and probably money to satisfy themselves, yet when one observes them, they can be the most angry, negative, critical, resentful and bitter people.  One would think quite the opposite is true: the more we give of ourselves, the more miserable we should be, and the more we satisfy our every desire the more content we should be.  However, the exact opposite is true.  The most content and satisfied people are those who consistently give of themselves selflessly and unconditionally.  There is a joy that just bubbles out of them, and everyone takes notice.  That is the kind of person I want to strive to be.

One person in the Bible who exemplifies this lifestyle and really inspires me is the apostle Paul.  From the moment he became a Christian, he devoted himself completely to fulfilling God’s plan for his life.  He gave of himself every day, and passionately and persistently worked tirelessly to lead anyone who would listen to Jesus.  He lived every day with a deep understanding that his life meant nothing.  He endured life-threatening hardships and extreme persecution on a regular basis.  Never once in the book of Acts do we see Paul complain about all the difficulties he had to endure; never once do we hear him tell anyone that he needs some time for himself.  He probably did sometimes (we all do as human beings), but the majority of his life was lived with a full understanding that he was not put on this earth to satisfy himself—his singular purpose for existing was to lead hundreds (probably thousands) of souls to Christ.

One specific way I am trying to give of myself consistently is in words of affirmation.  I don’t know why, but I have always struggled with this.  Sometimes compliments come to me, and I feel a definite resistance inside me that prevents me from uttering that compliment out loud to that person.  I have been seeking God and asking Him why this is, but I have not heard a response.  Over the past few months I have decided that I am going to force myself to utter the compliment aloud to the person.  People are largely receptive, and it is getting a tiny bit easier, but it’s still really hard.  The people I compliment are worth the struggle, however, and I believe that in time, I will become comfortable complimenting people.  Most of all, I believe that God has pointed out this flaw in me to help me overcome it, and He is equipping me to do so.  God wants me to give of myself in this way so that He can use me to bless others.  And I want to be a blessing—I want to be all that God has created me to be.  I am starting with children—both my classroom students and my “Wednesday night girls.”  They accept compliments so easily, so that makes it easier.  Later I’ll “graduate” to adults.  ๐Ÿ˜‰

There are many other areas that I know I need to improve in giving of myself, but one area at a time!  When I have made sufficient improvement in this area, God will lovingly point out the next area of selfishness that I need to ameliorate.  I only hope I am humble enough to receive His correction and to correct the misbehavior.  Sometimes I really fight Him.

Maybe take a moment and pray. Ask God to reveal any areas of selfishness that He wants to purge so that you can be all that He created YOU to be.  Feel free to share any ways that God is challenging you OR if you would like to comment on this post, I would more than welcome your comments.  Thank you for taking precious time out of your day to read this.  I truly hope that God spoke to you during these few minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nehemiah: Sheep Gate (Symbolism)

hubpages.com http://www.prayfordetroit.com/ As I mentioned in my Nehemiah  post, God has nudged me this summer to study Nehemiah in depth because He has some things He wants to show me.  I am just starting Chapter 5, and I must say it is so exciting and interesting. I have to admit, though, that when I got to Chapter 3, it just looked like one of those boring chapters: it gave all the boring details about each section of the wall of Jerusalem that was being rebuilt, and gave countless names of the people who rebuilt each section.  I was going to skip it and move on to Chapter 4 when I felt the Lord nudge me to look deeper--that there was something here that He wanted to show me.   So I dutifully sought the Lord (and a research book, and the internet!) , and was ASTOUNDED at the incredible layers of symbolism in the names of the gates!  It has turned out to be my favorite chapter so far.  :)  God is incredibly amazing, huh?   The big picture that He has shown me so far?  Eve

Your "Fairy-Tale" Life

Your life may not look like a fairy tale, and it may certainly not FEEL like a fairy tale, but I am going to attempt to prove to you today that your Christian walk parallels a fairy-tale life.  ๐Ÿ˜Š  Initially, this may sound almost blasphemous to you, but I am so certain that I received this directly from God.  I pray that it encourages you to believe that God is working in your situation whether you see evidence of it or not.  He is such a good God, and such a big God.  ๐Ÿ˜Š First, I would like to start with the main points that a speaker made at a Girls Ministries camp that I attended a few weeks ago, which were the springboard for what God revealed to me. • It took a lot of courage for Cinderella to respond to the prince’s invitation to the ball because of how her family made her feel. • It also took a lot of courage for Mary to obey and follow God’s plan for her life. • If we agree to follow Jesus and accept His invitation, and keep our eyes on Him, He will take us on a beau

This was amazing!

I'm so sorry.  I AM working on a new post, but to tide you over until then (I should have it up by next Tuesday), I found this on YouTube and was so encouraged and inspired by it.  I will post the story behind the song, and then the link to the song itself.  I hope this blesses you! Story behind the song "Tell Your Heart To Beat Again" Lyric Video Have a bright, beaming, better-than-average day!  :)