Skip to main content

Waiting on the Lord

I read Psalm 40 recently, and it was a soothing balm to my needy soul.  It came at just the right time and brought healing and comfort to me.  I began to claim this Psalm for this season of my life, and I read it at least once per day.  The first verses of the Psalm describe a time when David had to endure a very difficult trial and waited patiently for God to deliver him from it.  Upon David’s deliverance, God gave him “a new song to sing.”  To me that means that when God delivered him from his trial, David experienced a season of great joy.  The last verses of Psalm 40 make it evident that David is going through another trying season, and he is leaning on God and trusting God to rescue him from the trial again.  I am inspired by the fact that David is waiting for deliverance with the full expectation that God will do it.  He knows God well enough to be able to trust Him for complete deliverance.


Each time I read it, God would unearth new treasures for me, and I began to see a common thread running through the Psalm.  This Psalm is a beautiful example of “waiting well” during a fiery trial.

In verse 1, David teaches us to wait patiently and with a good attitude.  Merriam-Webster describes patiently as “in a patient manner:  with calmness or without complaint or hurry despite delays, difficulties, tedium, etc.”  Part of that means we stop fighting the reality of the trial—we stop trying to shove it down, ignore it, deny it, fix it, get angry at it or at God for allowing it or at other people we deem responsible for it, etc.  It means to “ride the wave” as it were and see where it takes us.  It means that we must quietly allow God to lead us in the trial and not fight Him every step of the way like a petulant child.  We internalize the reality that this is going to be an extremely brutal season and that’s okay.  It’s okay because through it God will accomplish His purposes that we most likely cannot even begin to understand.  Waiting does NOT mean we sit back and twiddle our thumbs until God decides to intervene on our behalf.  Waiting on the Lord is not a passive act.  As we wait, we are continually pursuing Him and obeying His directives as He gives them.

David also shows us in verse 5 that waiting on the Lord means reminding ourselves regularly of “all [His] wonderful deeds.”  This is an integral part of waiting well. In fact, that is how David begins this Psalm, by reflecting on a time when he was enduring a fiery trial from which God eventually delivered him.  I love that as David is meditating on God’s past goodness, he says, “If I tried to recite all Your wonderful deeds, I would never come to the end of them.”  Reading that verse reminded me that I am neglecting a very powerful tool in waiting well.  I do not reflect on or recite God’s past miracles in my life nearly enough.  This is so critical because this is how we encourage and edify ourselves.  This will renew our hope and bring a levity during the trial that we could not otherwise experience.  As soon as we begin to slide down that slippery slope of discouragement, anger, or depression, part of the antidote is to really stop and reflect on specific times in our life when He has miraculously intervened on our behalf, and rejoice in His gracious miracles.  He is the same God today that He was then.

Waiting well also means trusting Him COMPLETELY.  Because David knew God intimately, it was possible for him to trust God fully with every situation he faced.  Only when we trust God fully do we experience His peace which passes understanding.  We understand intrinsically, not merely intellectually, that God is COMPLETELY trustworthy.  We can have peace because no matter how our trial ends, and no matter what extreme challenges we may have to endure indefinitely,  we know that we know that we know that God has our back.  And that becomes enough.  Our peace comes from trusting Him with all of our problems, and letting Him deal with them as He sees best.  But in order to do that, we have to be willing to give Him all those things to which we so desperately cling because we cannot imagine life without them.  Hebrews 11:6 states that, “But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.”  We cannot surrender everything to Him until we believe that verse.

As we are waiting on the Lord, we ask God to open our eyes to see His glorious miracles during the trial.  There are always miracles; sometimes we are blind to them, but they are there.  Waiting well means that we see His miraculous interventions, and not only do we see them and reflect on them, we boldly and lovingly tell everyone we know what God has done and is doing for us.

And that brings me to our next criterion for waiting well:  telling others of everything He does and has done for us.   In verses 9 and 10, David explains that he boldly proclaims God’s goodness to everyone.  Verse 3 explains why this is important: “Many will see what he has done and be amazed.  They will put their trust in the Lord.”  He proclaims God’s miracles so others can know God the way he does.  He wants everyone to know how awesome and good God is.  He does it regularly and he does it boldly.  He is not embarrassed or ashamed to talk about how great God is—he does not hold back because he is impervious to what others will think of him.


“Waiting on the Lord” also means that we obey God fully, no matter what.  There will definitely be times when God tells us to do something that doesn’t make any sense.  If you KNOW that God has told you to do something, do it even if you don’t understand why.  A couple of decades ago, I was going through a financial crisis.  I remember that I had twelve dollars to my name, and those twelve dollars had to last me a week—gas, food, etc.  I was a baby Christian and I remember working very hard not to panic because I had no idea how I was going to survive the week.  I went to a church service, and as the offering plate was going around, I distinctly heard God tell me to put all twelve dollars in the offering plate.  I was sure I was hearing things.  However, I heard the same command again.  This time I argued with God.  God repeated the same thing … again.  So as the offering plate came to me, I just dumped all my money in the plate and didn’t allow myself to think about it.  A couple of days later, I was cleaning my room, and I found a wallet I had lost.  When I looked inside, there were thirty dollars.  Because I obeyed God and did something that sounded ludicrous and completely counterintuitive, God more than doubled my money.  I will never forget that moment.  I learned a lot about God’s nature and character that weekend.  It doesn’t matter what God tells us to do—no matter how insane it sounds or how difficult it is, if we KNOW it’s Him, we need to just do it.  Do it just because He SAID to do it.  And that’s enough.

Waiting well also means looking ONLY at HIM, not at our current situation and circumstances.  David begins and ends this Psalm by looking upward toward God.  However, in the middle of the Psalm, specifically in verses 11 through 15, David begins to look at his circumstances instead of God.  He feels surrounded by his countless problems and sins and sees no way out.  He seems overcome with hopelessness (“For troubles surround me—too many to count!  My sins pile up so high I can’t see my way out.  They outnumber the hairs on my head.  I have lost all courage.” vv. 11-12).  How many times have we felt the same way?  Notice that as soon as David took his eyes off of God and looked around him with his very limited human perspective, THAT is when hopelessness took hold of him.  I like the NKJ translation because the translation of verse 12 is “THEREFORE my heart fails me.”  Why does he feel discouraged?  BECAUSE he is looking around him instead of upward to the King of kings and Lord of lords.  Also, as I was reading the French equivalent of the NKJV, instead of saying, “My iniquities have overtaken me, so that I am not able to look up;” it says, “« the PUNISHMENT for my sins HAS CAUGHT UP WITH ME ».”  I just found that so powerful. 

One of my favorite qualities of David is his steadfast devotion to God.  Even though he briefly takes his eyes off of the Creator of the universe, by the end of the Psalm he is looking up again.  We will stumble in our faith, but we must continually strive to keep our eyes on Him only.  So many times, especially in my battle with Carlos, I have to remind myself that I am not fighting HIM, I am fighting the evil forces that are vigorously and persistently toiling to destroy him and our family.

One other way that David teaches us how to “wait well” is to seek deliverance only from God and only in HIS timing, not ours.  Verse 1 says, “I waited patiently for the Lord to help me,” and verse 2 says, “He lifted me out of the pit of despair.”  Verse 13 says, “Please, Lord, rescue me!  Come quickly, Lord, and help me.”  Verse 17 says, “You are my helper and my savior.  O my God, do not delay.”  David is committed to allowing God to bring the breakthroughs he desires WHEN GOD WANTS.  He will wait patiently as long as it takes.  Nowhere in this Psalm does David whine and moan to God, nor does he take matters into his own hands and strategize ways to escape the grueling trial or short-circuit God’s purposes by conjuring up his own solution.

“Waiting well” is extremely challenging and requires a daily commitment.  When I become weary and discouraged, Galatians 6:9 calms me and encourages me:  “And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.”  I cling to the promise in the last part of that verse.  I just have to hold on to God with all of my strength, and I WILL reap the rewards at some point.  

Here are some Scriptures to encourage you to wait "well."  :)  I hope they bless you!  Before you read them, I encourage you to take a moment to seek God and ask Him to reveal to you which of these qualities you are good at and which of them you need to improve upon.  Then choose one trait of waiting well that you MOST would like to improve upon.  Take a moment to pray and ask God to help you improve at that specific trait of "waiting well."  Pray about it every day and make a conscious, deliberate choice to be aware of this weakness as the day passes; ask God to open your eyes so you can see when it rears its ugly head again, and you can immediately counter it with Scriptures.  Then, when God directs each step in the process of improving, choose to obey Him, no matter how hard it is.

wait patiently and with a good attitude
The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him.  It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.  Lamentations 3:25-26

reminding ourselves regularly of “all [His] wonderful deeds”
Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; and His greatness is unsearchable.  One generation shall praise Your works to another, and shall declare Your mighty acts.  Psalm 145:3-4

trusting Him COMPLETELY
And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; for You, Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You.   Psalm 9:10

telling others of God’s goodness
However, Jesus did not permit him, but said to him, “Go home to your friends, and tell them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He has had compassion on you.”  Mark 5:19

obey God fully, no matter what
“You have charged us to keep Your commandments carefully.  Oh, that my actions would consistently reflect Your decrees!  Then I will not be ashamed when I compare my life with Your commands.  As I learn Your righteous regulations, I will thank You by living as I should!  I will obey Your decrees.  Please don’t give up on me!”  Psalm 119:4-8

looking ONLY at HIM
“They do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the Lord to care for them.”  Ps. 112:7
“Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him on high, because he has known My name.  He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him.”  Ps. 91:14-15


Dear beloved of God, if you are in the midst of a fiery trial right now, and the end seems nowhere in sight, know that God surely sees and He definitely cares.

Here's a song that encourages me when I'm frustrated with waiting on God.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nehemiah: Sheep Gate (Symbolism)

hubpages.com http://www.prayfordetroit.com/ As I mentioned in my Nehemiah  post, God has nudged me this summer to study Nehemiah in depth because He has some things He wants to show me.  I am just starting Chapter 5, and I must say it is so exciting and interesting. I have to admit, though, that when I got to Chapter 3, it just looked like one of those boring chapters: it gave all the boring details about each section of the wall of Jerusalem that was being rebuilt, and gave countless names of the people who rebuilt each section.  I was going to skip it and move on to Chapter 4 when I felt the Lord nudge me to look deeper--that there was something here that He wanted to show me.   So I dutifully sought the Lord (and a research book, and the internet!) , and was ASTOUNDED at the incredible layers of symbolism in the names of the gates!  It has turned out to be my favorite chapter so far.  :)  God is incredibly amazing, huh?   The big picture that He has shown me so far?  Eve

Your "Fairy-Tale" Life

Your life may not look like a fairy tale, and it may certainly not FEEL like a fairy tale, but I am going to attempt to prove to you today that your Christian walk parallels a fairy-tale life.  😊  Initially, this may sound almost blasphemous to you, but I am so certain that I received this directly from God.  I pray that it encourages you to believe that God is working in your situation whether you see evidence of it or not.  He is such a good God, and such a big God.  😊 First, I would like to start with the main points that a speaker made at a Girls Ministries camp that I attended a few weeks ago, which were the springboard for what God revealed to me. • It took a lot of courage for Cinderella to respond to the prince’s invitation to the ball because of how her family made her feel. • It also took a lot of courage for Mary to obey and follow God’s plan for her life. • If we agree to follow Jesus and accept His invitation, and keep our eyes on Him, He will take us on a beau

This was amazing!

I'm so sorry.  I AM working on a new post, but to tide you over until then (I should have it up by next Tuesday), I found this on YouTube and was so encouraged and inspired by it.  I will post the story behind the song, and then the link to the song itself.  I hope this blesses you! Story behind the song "Tell Your Heart To Beat Again" Lyric Video Have a bright, beaming, better-than-average day!  :)