Skip to main content

Diamonds in the Rough

"See yourself through My eyes--you will see that you are extraordinary."
Yikes!  I'm soooooooo embarrassed!  I have not found a way to set aside regular time to blog during the school year.  I'm certain that no one looks at my blog, but I have decided that instead of creating new blog posts during the school year, I will copy and share the devotionals that God gives me to share with the teachers I work with.  About once per month, my turn for devotional comes up.  God always gives me a message to share with the teachers (we meet in the morning before work).  I have typewritten the last two, so I will copy and paste them here. Today I will paste the one I am giving tomorrow, and next week I will post the one I gave last time.

Also, I am SOOOOO excited!  I have Photoshop for the first time in several years, so I have created some inspirational Scripture/quotes for you.  I will also share them intermittently throughout the school year.

Here is tomorrow's devotional.  Be warned: It's REALLY long for a blog post--it will probably take you about ten minutes to read it.  If you don't have time, just read for a few minutes each day until you do.  At the end of the post is the song that partially inspired the devotional.

God gave me this devotional slowly over the course of a week or so, through a few related situations.  During these situations, He kept impressing upon me the fact that I shine for Him.  I think He is doing that because I really don’t think I do shine—I see my foibles and faults.  He keeps attempting to show me that He sees much more than that.  So I began to ponder this strange reality—that I shine for Him and when He sees me, He sees someone valuable.  He began to show me some truths:
·         Why it’s important to shine for Him and not just survive each day
·         How to shine for Him, even when facing difficult trials, and

·         How our trials actually HELP us shine for Him

I think that the reason it’s important to shine for Him is probably obvious:  in Matthew 5:16 Jesus tells us plainly why it’s important to Him: “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.”  Our entire reason for existing is to draw people to a relationship with the Lord and to glorify Him with our lives. [No pressure!].  We are called to shine whether we feel like it or not, and whether we think we can or not. 

We cannot live on the outskirts of Christianity and expect to shine.  We are too far away from intimacy with Him and it is our deep and transparent relationship with Him that allows us to shine.  This is probably a spiritual stretch, but as I was reading Numbers 11, a thought came to me.  In Numbers 11, God was angry with the Israelites (during their time in the desert) because they kept complaining.  Numbers 11:1 says that because of their complaining, “[…] the anger of the Lord burned among them, and consumed some in the outskirts of the camp.”  I wondered why only the Israelites in the outskirts of the camp were killed.  Maybe because they were willing to be a marginal part of Israelite life—they were not willing to fully commit to God’s plans for them.  I could be wrong, but I believe the application still applies to us.  We cannot just go through the motions of Christianity and expect to grow spiritually or expect to shine for the Lord.  It just isn’t possible—it’s like our students expecting A’s and getting frustrated with us when we don’t GIVE them a A even though they’ve done absolutely nothing to earn it.

An open, completely transparent relationship with the Lord is key to allowing ourselves to shine for Him.  We cannot refuse God’s usually gentle, loving correction and pretend we’ve got it all figured out.  We cannot expect to be self-reliant and shine.  Whether we like to admit it or not, people see through our façade, and we lose credibility.  Instead of shining, we begin to stink of hypocrisy.  We must allow God to purge us of our sin so we can be clean—nothing dirty can shine brightly.  David did have this humility, and grew by leaps and bounds spiritually for several years.  His humility is so touching to me in Psalm 51:7:  “Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me and I shall be whiter than snow.”  And verse 10:  “Create in me a clean heart, O God, … .”  Sometimes I greatly fear saying that prayer—I’m so scared of the ugly reality check and painful pruning awaiting me.  But David’s desire for purity was greater than his pride.  What a lesson for me to learn.  I need to desire purity over my foolish pride.  I believe deep humility and a desire for purity is a very critical first step in beginning to shine for the Lord.

I began to ask the Lord to show me practical, powerful, simple things we can do to position ourselves to shine for Him.  It seemed like such an abstract quality; I really didn’t think there are any actual intentional things we can do to help ourselves shine.  But He did give me some very practical advice.  One way to help ourselves shine is to soak up His presence continually.  In verses 10-12 of Psalm 51, David asks God, “… renew a steadfast spirit within me.  Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.  Restore to me the joy of Your salvation …”  I believe that David spent countless hours consistently soaking up God’s presence and allowing the Holy Spirit to penetrate his soul.  The more time he spent in intimacy with God, the more he began to reflect God in his life.  I strongly believe that is one of the reasons he was so popular—he spent so much time with the Lord that people sensed the Lord’s presence when they were with him and they (probably unbeknownst to them) were drawn to it.  They just liked being in his presence because it felt good.  We can be like that, too.  We, too, must saturate ourselves with His Word and His presence daily.

Then I began to ask God if it’s possible to shine when we are going through a very difficult trial.  Honestly, I was hoping He would confirm to me that it’s not possible to shine during a very serious trial.  Alas, that is not the answer I received.  On the contrary, He quelled that idea quickly.  His response came in a very unique and unexpected way.  In my Wednesday night ministry, we sang a song through which God laid it all out for me very clearly—it is in our deepest trials that He is molding us to shine for Him the most.  *sigh*  As I begin to relate what He showed me, you may figure out the song He used to answer my question.  He began to show me how diamonds are made.  Diamonds are the result of a chemical change that takes place deep in the earth (about 100 miles below the surface of the earth).  Because of intense pressure (725,000 pounds per square inch) and extremely high temperatures (over 2000° F), carbon atoms bond together to form crystals.  Each carbon atom bonds with four other carbon atoms, which is why diamonds are the world’s strongest substance.   The bonded crystals must rise quickly from 100 miles below the surface (within a period of 12-24 hours) in order to cool as diamonds.  They must then be extracted from volcanic rock.  Our spiritual growth and transformation must take place deep in our soul in order to be visible to others from the outside.  The intense pressure and fiery trials we experience are what shape us into the diamonds we are becoming, except that in our case the transformation lasts an entire lifetime.  In the same way that a diamond’s beauty and popularity comes from its unique ability to reflect light, we also shine solely because we reflect His light to those around us, because the Bible says “God is light.”  (I Jn. 1:5)  That takes care of the depth, pressure, and heat of diamond creation, which leaves us to discover how the resulting strength of the diamond applies to us as well:  it is definitely true that each trial we overcome makes us even stronger than we were before we faced it.

How do we still shine during a fiery trial?  God told me that we must CHOOSE to focus on our many blessings and His goodness.  There is no trial we face that can erase all of God’s past blessings and miracles.  We focus on His goodness in the past and in the present.  We focus on His promises for our future.  David, in Psalm 51:8 says, Make me hear joy and gladness, that the bones You have broken may rejoice.”  David understood the importance of seeing God’s goodness and blessings no matter what he was facing.  Phil. 4:8 is very clear:  “… whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.”  It is truly very difficult to do, but we must actively choose—every day (and sometimes several times during the day)—to rejoice despite our circumstances.  Ps. 51:14-15 says, “ … my tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness.  O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall show forth Your praise.”  We can praise Him even in our darkest times because He is for us, and the victory is guaranteed.  In fact, I believe that one-on-one praise time is an important element of our intimacy with Him.  I feel certain that David would agree.  He spent countless hours writing powerful, very intimate songs to his King.  He did that because it kept him focused on God and not his problems.  

So, beloved, whether you agree or not, whether you see it or not, you do shine for Him, and when He looks down from heaven, He smiles at His unique “diamond in the rough.”  You are slowly but surely being molded into the polished and perfected product that He has in mind. God would say, “Look at yourself through My eyes, and you will see that you are extraordinary.”  Maybe there are some things you can do to help yourself to shine more for Him:
·         Spend more time saturating your soul with His presence, through meditating on His Word, through time spent in deep prayer, quiet meditation focusing on whatever He wants to show you, and worship time.
·         Focus on your blessings when all you see is your trial
·         Focus on the fact that He is also working to help those “difficult-to-love” people in your life to shine as well

Maybe spend some of your quiet time this week asking God to show you specifically what you can do to reflect more of His glory in your life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nehemiah: Sheep Gate (Symbolism)

hubpages.com http://www.prayfordetroit.com/ As I mentioned in my Nehemiah  post, God has nudged me this summer to study Nehemiah in depth because He has some things He wants to show me.  I am just starting Chapter 5, and I must say it is so exciting and interesting. I have to admit, though, that when I got to Chapter 3, it just looked like one of those boring chapters: it gave all the boring details about each section of the wall of Jerusalem that was being rebuilt, and gave countless names of the people who rebuilt each section.  I was going to skip it and move on to Chapter 4 when I felt the Lord nudge me to look deeper--that there was something here that He wanted to show me.   So I dutifully sought the Lord (and a research book, and the internet!) , and was ASTOUNDED at the incredible layers of symbolism in the names of the gates!  It has turned out to be my favorite chapter so far.  :)  God is incredibly amazing, huh?   The big picture that He has shown me so far?  Eve

Your "Fairy-Tale" Life

Your life may not look like a fairy tale, and it may certainly not FEEL like a fairy tale, but I am going to attempt to prove to you today that your Christian walk parallels a fairy-tale life.  😊  Initially, this may sound almost blasphemous to you, but I am so certain that I received this directly from God.  I pray that it encourages you to believe that God is working in your situation whether you see evidence of it or not.  He is such a good God, and such a big God.  😊 First, I would like to start with the main points that a speaker made at a Girls Ministries camp that I attended a few weeks ago, which were the springboard for what God revealed to me. • It took a lot of courage for Cinderella to respond to the prince’s invitation to the ball because of how her family made her feel. • It also took a lot of courage for Mary to obey and follow God’s plan for her life. • If we agree to follow Jesus and accept His invitation, and keep our eyes on Him, He will take us on a beau

This was amazing!

I'm so sorry.  I AM working on a new post, but to tide you over until then (I should have it up by next Tuesday), I found this on YouTube and was so encouraged and inspired by it.  I will post the story behind the song, and then the link to the song itself.  I hope this blesses you! Story behind the song "Tell Your Heart To Beat Again" Lyric Video Have a bright, beaming, better-than-average day!  :)