Skip to main content

Mmmm Mmmm Good! :)

So ... I finally have a mostly-functioning kitchen now--a functioning brand-new, huge, porcelain sink, and a stove and oven that are hooked up again. I feel like a new person. Probably sounds silly, but I was honestly going crazy without a kitchen.

The kitchen table, the portable dishwasher, and our old fridge were all stuck in our tiny living room, there was kitchen stuff in bins everywhere (including the back porch), and I just felt so cramped. So I feel like I have a new lease on life now. I felt so elated on Saturday when everything was functioning, I just wanted to celebrate. But I had to keep dinner on Saturday simple (Adobo, Rice, and Salad) due to time constraints. So I pledged that Sunday dinner would be a spectacular celebration of our kitchen.
And I thought I would show you how to make this (in case you should ever so desire). I am going to format this post "a la Pioneer Woman." If you guys want a user-friendly recipe, just email me, okay? If you don't have my email, let me know you want it, and I'll post the recipe.
Our complete menu was Osso Bucco, Risotto, Homemade French Pesto Bread, and Salad. Dessert was Ghiradelli brownies and ice cream. I'm only going to show you how to make the Osso Bucco.

Disclaimer first: this is a rather complicated dish that takes a total of about 3 1/2 hours to make. However, I will say that for special occasions (adult birthdays, anniversaries, holicays, etc.), it is a very appropriate meal. So if you feel like blessing someone, this is the way to go (in my very humble opinion of course, lol!)

Here is a quick overview of the ingredients (+veal shanks which I forgot to include in the photo):

You begin by finely dicing 1 c. onion, 1/2 c. carrots (except I grated the carrot--what Carlos (my son) doesn't know won't hurt him, lol!), and 1/2 c. celery (see my special helper--she's very handy in the kitchen!):

Just a very important side note: apparently this is how twelve-year-olds work in the kitchen. Apparently we are not fully prepared to work in the kitchen until we have our high heels on :)


You then dredge the veal shanks in salted and peppered flour. Sorry, don't have a photo of that because my hands were way too messy to touch the camera. My special helper refuses to touch raw meat and get her hands messy with flour. We're working on that, though! ;)

Next, melt a half a stick of butter (1/4 c.) in a rather large pan (if you focus on how much delicious flavor it will add to the final product, it really helps to distract you from what all that butter does inside your body, lol!)


Using high heat, brown the veal shanks in the butter for ab0ut 3-4 minutes on each side. Mind you, after going to four stores in search of veal shanks, I finally gave up and used beef shanks. That's also a much less expensive option, but the veal shanks do definitely work better with this dish. You want to cook them for about five minutes on each side.


Remove the shanks from the pan and cook the carrot, onion, and celery over medium heat for about five minutes, until they look a little translucent and cooked down. While that mixture is cooking add 3 cloves of minced garlic as well.

Note: Notice my helper's beautifully manicured nails :)




Wanna close up of this yummy mixture? I could just let this cook for a few more minutes and eat it with bread. Mmmm. Well, not really. My mouth is watering for some Osso Bucco.


Next, add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste to the vegetable mixture (mmm ... I LOVE tomato paste. Here's a gross little secret about me: I eat it straight out of the can. I only divulge that secret because I'm certain I'm not the only person in the universe that loves to eat tomato paste straight out of the can. I'm sure there must be some aliens on some unknown planet who also enjoy tomato paste ;) Anyway, back to the recipe: mix the tomato paste until it's well combined and cook for about four minutes.


This is a very close up of the tomato paste-vegetable mixture. Can you smell the tangy scent of tomato paste and the sweet smell of the carrots and onions? Is your mouth watering yet?!
Next, add 1/2 c. dry white wine to the pan. For those of you who don't drink at all, you can just add beef broth. I'm Italian--we don't know how to cook without using wine :)
Return the shanks to the pan, and add enough beef broth to halfway cover the shanks.
Then--finally--comes the easy part. Just cover the pan, reduce heat to low, and simmer for three hours. You'll want to check the pan several times during this stage. If the liquid gets below half, just add more beef broth. Side note: I did turn the shanks about halfway through. If you want to do it just a word of caution--be careful because the meat will be very tender and the meat might fall into pieces, which, of course, will ruin the fancy presentation when you're about to wow your guests at the table, lol!
Then I forgot to photograph the last two steps (because company had arrived, lol!). You are going to make something that sounds very fancy, but is easy. You are going to impress your family by making a "gremolata." Don't ask me what that means--my knowledge of Italian doesn't extend that far, and I'm too lazy to get my Italian-English dictionary right now. But it's easy: finely chop 1 tablespoon of parsley, mince a large clove of garlic, and zest the peel of 1/2 lemon. Mix it all together and add it to the pan during the last five minutes of cooking.
Be sure to spoon a tablespoon or so of the sauce mixture over the meat when you put it on the plate to serve. Mmmm!
You must promise me you'll do justice to this dish by accompanying it with Risotto :) It is the perfect accompaniment (sp?) to Osso Bucco. And please don't use regular rice. Invest in the very expensive Arborio rice for this dish. It really does make a difference. The texture is different. I used this recipe, except I didn't make the rice into patties like she suggests, and I didn't add the peas.
Hint: a way to get your camera-loving child to help without complaining is to take pictures and tell her you're going to put them on your blog :-D

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love the instructions for the recipe. May have to try that!

Are you going to post pictures of your lovely new kitchen? I saw some of the counter top in your pictures. Very nice!!
Carmela said…
I'll post pictures after I clean up last night's mess, lol!
tjep said…
Oooh I can see a little bit of your new kitchen! Love the countertop!
Ashley helping you make the Osso Bucco is too cute! It truly fits her to be in the spotlight along with the main dish!
I can't wait until I can have lunch at your place!
Carmela said…
Yes ... you and me and Becky need to plan that! I would LOVE to cook for you! :)
DonnaG said…
Ahhhh I am sooooo wanting that....the countertops I mean. Still don't have them. The Osso Bucco looks great too. Didn't you make that a while back?

Popular posts from this blog

Nehemiah: Sheep Gate (Symbolism)

hubpages.com http://www.prayfordetroit.com/ As I mentioned in my Nehemiah  post, God has nudged me this summer to study Nehemiah in depth because He has some things He wants to show me.  I am just starting Chapter 5, and I must say it is so exciting and interesting. I have to admit, though, that when I got to Chapter 3, it just looked like one of those boring chapters: it gave all the boring details about each section of the wall of Jerusalem that was being rebuilt, and gave countless names of the people who rebuilt each section.  I was going to skip it and move on to Chapter 4 when I felt the Lord nudge me to look deeper--that there was something here that He wanted to show me.   So I dutifully sought the Lord (and a research book, and the internet!) , and was ASTOUNDED at the incredible layers of symbolism in the names of the gates!  It has turned out to be my favorite chapter so far.  :)  God is incredibly amazing, huh?   The big picture that He has shown me so far?  Eve

Your "Fairy-Tale" Life

Your life may not look like a fairy tale, and it may certainly not FEEL like a fairy tale, but I am going to attempt to prove to you today that your Christian walk parallels a fairy-tale life.  😊  Initially, this may sound almost blasphemous to you, but I am so certain that I received this directly from God.  I pray that it encourages you to believe that God is working in your situation whether you see evidence of it or not.  He is such a good God, and such a big God.  😊 First, I would like to start with the main points that a speaker made at a Girls Ministries camp that I attended a few weeks ago, which were the springboard for what God revealed to me. • It took a lot of courage for Cinderella to respond to the prince’s invitation to the ball because of how her family made her feel. • It also took a lot of courage for Mary to obey and follow God’s plan for her life. • If we agree to follow Jesus and accept His invitation, and keep our eyes on Him, He will take us on a beau

This was amazing!

I'm so sorry.  I AM working on a new post, but to tide you over until then (I should have it up by next Tuesday), I found this on YouTube and was so encouraged and inspired by it.  I will post the story behind the song, and then the link to the song itself.  I hope this blesses you! Story behind the song "Tell Your Heart To Beat Again" Lyric Video Have a bright, beaming, better-than-average day!  :)