Skip to main content

Complete Trust ... or Else

A few weeks ago, I began to read Exodus.  From the very first verses of the first chapter, God began showing me the root of the Israelites’ problem that led to so much rebellion, and He also showed me that I struggle with the same issue they did.  He definitely conveyed to me that my fate is paralleling theirs and that if I don’t alter my perspective, I, too, will miss out on many blessings.  That was a sobering truth, and as scary and humbling as this revelation was, I decided that it was in my best interest to pursue this truth and determine what I needed to change.  I began to sit with that thought and re-read Exodus 1 to see what parts of the chapter directly related to what God was trying to show me.

He showed me that the root of the Israelites’ rebellion lay in their distorted perspective of Him.  Because that generation of Israelites was raised under the extremely harsh, unrelenting, oppressive rule of an evil Pharaoh, they had a very distorted perspective of authority which they intrinsically transferred to ALL authority figures, including God.  He began showing me all the ways that He worked passionately and persistently to demonstrate to the Israelites that He is a “good Daddy,” but that nothing He ever did was enough for them to surrender to Him completely and consistently.  Exodus 6:6-9 clearly explains this and leaves no room for doubt about this truth: [Therefore, say to the children of Israel: ‘I am the Lord.  I will free you from your oppression and will rescue you from your slavery in Egypt.  I will redeem you with a powerful arm and great acts of judgment.  I will claim you as My own people, and I will be your God.  Then you will know that I am the Lord your God who has freed you from your oppression in Egypt.  I will bring you into the land I swore to give to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.  I will give it to you as your very own possession.  I am the Lord!’]   So Moses told the people of Israel what the Lord had said, but they refused to listen any more.  They had become too discouraged by the brutality of their slavery.”  Because they grew up with oppression, they could not allow themselves to hope and believe that God was going to free them from slavery and give them a land of milk and honey as their new dwelling place.  Their experience as harshly-treated slaves caused them to completely discount God’s goodness because they could not trust God.  They only trusted themselves.  He also showed me that they robbed themselves of so much because they were never able to embrace His goodness, His righteousness, and His deep love for them. 
He then showed me how all those same issues applied to me.  It is so scary how completely I relate to them.  I do NOT want to remain stuck in the past.  I want to learn how to see God as a good Daddy, and enjoy the blessings He gives me.  I find that I am willing myself with gritted teeth to believe that He is a good Daddy, that He loves me, and that He has GOOD plans for my future, but those truths have never penetrated my heart. 
I began seeking Him and asking Him to show me how to believe with all my heart that He is a good Daddy.  I felt led to examine the early chapters of Exodus again to understand what the Israelites could have done differently that would have allowed them to finally rest in Him and fully trust Him in every situation instead of incessantly grumbling and complaining.  He showed me one of the reasons that He performed a series of mighty, astonishing miracles in rapid succession in the early chapters of Exodus:  He was working very hard to prove His loyalty, omnipotence, goodness, and love to the Israelites.  In His goodness and compassion, He understood their reluctance to trust Him as well as the reason for their reluctance.  So, PART of His divine purpose in hardening Pharaoh’s heart was NOT ONLY to show the EGYPTIANS that He is almighty—it was ALSO to demonstrate His omnipotence and love to the ISRAELITES as well.  After researching online, it seems that the ten plagues happened in a five- or six-month period.  That’s a LOT of awesome works in a short period of time.  The plagues were God’s way of teaching the Israelites that He is completely trustworthy—nothing is too hard for Him, and He will do whatever it takes to take care of them.
Their problem was that they never allowed themselves to bask in His awesome, rapid-succession miracles, not even during the ten plagues, not even when they witnessed God systematically destroy the Egyptians and exclude them from the plagues (starting with plague four).  They took all of those awesome miracles for granted.  God showed me that the FIRST thing I need to do in order to fully trust Him and change my mindset is to bask in every miracle that He does for me and my loved ones, to meditate on those miracles and allow myself to understand that He performs those miracles PARTLY because He loves me and He enjoys blessing me.  God also showed me that another stumbling block for the Israelites was that they very quickly forgot all of His miracles—every time they encountered a problem in the wilderness, they should have immediately begun praying to God and trusted that if He could free them from slavery, He could do anything.  They should have CONTINUALLY REMINDED THEMSELVES of what He had done for them in the past in order to encourage them in their current struggles.  However, they did not.  I need to remember to look back on all that God has done for me and allow that to be an encouragement for my present and my future.
A sad and serious consequence of their refusal to see Him as a trustworthy God was that they robbed themselves of so many blessings.  That entire first generation was cursed because of their unbelief:  all males twenty years and older (except Joshua and Caleb) would die in the wilderness during the forty years.  So they got to experience the freedom from slavery, but they never got to live in the land that was “flowing with milk and honey.”  Those Israelites were never able to enjoy the amazing future that God planned for them because they were stuck in their past.  They still had a slavery mentality.  They were never comfortable with the concept of freedom—as odd as it sounds, they were comfortable with slavery, and they refused to embrace the incredibly scary concept of freedom—because freedom carries great responsibility and they felt completely unprepared for that.  Time after time, with every problem they encountered, that generation expressed their desire to return to slavery in Egypt as opposed to allowing God to teach them how to face the responsibilities of freedom.  They preferred the oppression of slavery over God’s abundant blessings.  They were so stuck in their past that they could not embrace the bright future that God was trying so desperately to give them. 
God was the same good, trustworthy, loving God through each phase of their life.  He was no less a good God when they were living with their oppression in Egypt as He was when He helped them conquer the Promised Land.  His goodness was just harder to feel and embrace during their season of cruel slavery.  It was like the sun hiding behind the clouds—they couldn’t see it, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t there.  It is like that with us, too.  When we are going through a trial, God’s goodness doesn’t change—only our ability to perceive it changes.  Even at that, God gave the Israelites numerous opportunities to embrace His goodness during their fiery trials—the ten plagues, the crossing of the Red Sea, the destruction of Pharaoh’s army right in front of their eyes, the provision of manna, quail and water, their ability to conquer the kings of Og and Bashan, and the list goes on.  It is very sad that they were never able to enjoy the fullness of God’s goodness.

I am scared that I’m going to remain stuck here—that I’m never going to allow myself to internalize the concept that God is a “good Daddy,” that He genuinely loves me deeply, that He enjoys blessing me, and that He will always have my back.  Like the Israelites, it is so clear to me that if I don’t get past this, I, too, will miss out on so many blessings and so much joy.  The entire time that they spent in the wilderness, the Israelites SHOULD have been constantly marveling at God’s astonishing provision and miracles for them.  He demonstrated His ability to overcome any obstacle they faced, and He demonstrated time and again that He had their backs.  The same applies to me.  I need to learn to trust Him, no matter what … simply because He has proven to me over and over that He’s a good Daddy.  I honestly don’t need to be scared or worried about anything because He has proven that He is completely trustworthy.  All the trials that I have to face, as daunting and scary and overwhelming as they are, and as unequipped as I feel to face them, God will hold my hand through them, and each trial will help me become more of who He created me to be.  If I say that I want all that God has for me, I must be willing to do whatever it takes to position myself to receive His blessings.

Some Scriptures which help me to trust God--they're all popular Scriptures, but I thought I'd include them anyway.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.          –Jeremiah 29:11-13

And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to Him must believe that God exists and that He rewards those who sincerely seek Him.          –Heb. 11:6

He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?          --Romans 8:32

Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,          --Ephesians 3:20

“You are good, and do good.”     --Psalm 119:68

Truly God is good to Israel, to such as are pure in heart.     –Psalm 73:1

Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!  For His mercy endures forever.     –I Chron. 16:34

For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord will give grace and glory; no good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly.      –Psalm 84:11

“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “Therefore I hope in Him!”  The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him.  It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.     –Lam. 3:24-26

A song about trusting in God:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nehemiah: Sheep Gate (Symbolism)

hubpages.com http://www.prayfordetroit.com/ As I mentioned in my Nehemiah  post, God has nudged me this summer to study Nehemiah in depth because He has some things He wants to show me.  I am just starting Chapter 5, and I must say it is so exciting and interesting. I have to admit, though, that when I got to Chapter 3, it just looked like one of those boring chapters: it gave all the boring details about each section of the wall of Jerusalem that was being rebuilt, and gave countless names of the people who rebuilt each section.  I was going to skip it and move on to Chapter 4 when I felt the Lord nudge me to look deeper--that there was something here that He wanted to show me.   So I dutifully sought the Lord (and a research book, and the internet!) , and was ASTOUNDED at the incredible layers of symbolism in the names of the gates!  It has turned out to be my favorite chapter so far.  :)  God is incredibly amazing, huh?   The big picture that He has shown me so far?  Eve

Your "Fairy-Tale" Life

Your life may not look like a fairy tale, and it may certainly not FEEL like a fairy tale, but I am going to attempt to prove to you today that your Christian walk parallels a fairy-tale life.  😊  Initially, this may sound almost blasphemous to you, but I am so certain that I received this directly from God.  I pray that it encourages you to believe that God is working in your situation whether you see evidence of it or not.  He is such a good God, and such a big God.  😊 First, I would like to start with the main points that a speaker made at a Girls Ministries camp that I attended a few weeks ago, which were the springboard for what God revealed to me. • It took a lot of courage for Cinderella to respond to the prince’s invitation to the ball because of how her family made her feel. • It also took a lot of courage for Mary to obey and follow God’s plan for her life. • If we agree to follow Jesus and accept His invitation, and keep our eyes on Him, He will take us on a beau

This was amazing!

I'm so sorry.  I AM working on a new post, but to tide you over until then (I should have it up by next Tuesday), I found this on YouTube and was so encouraged and inspired by it.  I will post the story behind the song, and then the link to the song itself.  I hope this blesses you! Story behind the song "Tell Your Heart To Beat Again" Lyric Video Have a bright, beaming, better-than-average day!  :)