Skip to main content

Answering the Call

I was reading Isaiah 6 this morning and I am always so impressed with Isaiah's quick response to God's call.  Verses five through eight always convict me for several reasons.

"So I said:
“Woe is me, for I am undone!
Because I am a man of unclean lips,
And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips;
For my eyes have seen the King,
The Lord of hosts.”
Then one of the seraphim flew to me, having in his hand a live coal which he had taken with the tongs from the altar. And he touched my mouth with it, and said:
“Behold, this has touched your lips;
Your iniquity is taken away,
And your sin purged.”
Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying:
“Whom shall I send,
And who will go for Us?”
Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.”

Sometimes I doubt that God is calling me to something.  Like Isaiah, I feel very unclean and unworthy to serve our mighty God.  If I were God, I would pick someone more holy, with a "clean" past, etc.  I would NOT pick me.

Sometimes I know that God is calling me to do something, but it's out of my comfort zone, so like Moses I begin to explain to Him why I am not the right choice.  (I know:  so arrogant.  I even tell myself how arrogant that is, but I cannot stop myself in the moment.)  Usually I allow fear to take over. This summer God gave me a distaste for this destructive pattern in my life and I am going to strive daily to overcome these fears so that God can accomplish His full will in my life.  I have made some progress in that I have accomplished several things around the house that would have intimidated me before.  I am asking God to show me very clearly when I begin to shrink back in fear, especially when He calls me to do something spiritually that I am resisting.

I KNOW that Jesus is my Savior, that He died on the cross for my sins.  I know that the Bible is very clear that when we ask for forgiveness, He is quick to forgive us completely from any wrongdoing. Ezekiel 18:21-22 says

“But if a wicked man turns from all his sins which he has committed, keeps all My statutes, and does what is lawful and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die.  None of the transgressions which he has committed shall be remembered against him; because of the righteousness which he has done, he shall live."

I know that is true, yet I struggle with believing it in my heart.  I find it so beautiful that when the angel comes, touches Isaiah's mouth with the piece of coal, and tells him that his iniquity is taken away and his sin is purged, Isaiah just simply believes it and accepts it.  He understands that he now stands holy and righteous before God because his sins have been removed.  I need to be like Isaiah.

Also, as soon as he has been cleansed (with the coal), God asks, "Whom shall I send?"  God doesn't even call Isaiah specifically, and say, "Isaiah, I have a mission for you."  He just sends out a general call (although this was a vision, so I am certain that the call was for Isaiah only).  Isaiah quickly volunteers himself--he doesn't even know what the assignment is; he has purposed in his heart that he will fulfill God's will, whatever that might be. He doesn't allow anxiety or his insecurities to take over.  God needs someone, so he wants to serve his God.

I almost get the sense that he sees it as a privilege to be used by God.  Do you get the same feeling when you read that passage?  He seems EAGER to serve God. I did do one thing this summer that (after the fact when I got positive feedback from it) I did feel like it was a privilege to get to serve Him and bless someone because of what He called me to do.  There is an excellent ministry, and my boss expressed to me that the leader was feeling somewhat discouraged and considering ending this amazing ministry.  I was stunned and grieved.  As I prayed for the leader, I sensed very strongly that God wanted me to write her a letter of encouragement expressing the deep impact that her ministry has had on my son and my school in general.  I delayed several months, but finally did it.  I was scared to write it because I had to be more transparent than I wanted to, but I knew God wanted me to--she needed to hear specific stories of how her ministry touched hearts and changed lives permanently.  I gave it to my boss, and he gave it to her.  He said that it touched her deeply and strengthened and encouraged her.  I was so excited!!  At that moment, I truly felt like it was a privilege that out of all the people she knows (she doesn't even know me), God chose me to encourage her.  It felt VERY GOOD!!  And  you know what?  After several weeks, it still feels amazing and good!  :)  When I delay or deny God's call, I rob myself of a blessing, too.

Isaiah is an inspiration to me.  I hope God reminds me of this post the next time I am tempted to ignore/deny/delay a response to His call.  I want to be the obedient servant that Isaiah was.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nehemiah: Sheep Gate (Symbolism)

hubpages.com http://www.prayfordetroit.com/ As I mentioned in my Nehemiah  post, God has nudged me this summer to study Nehemiah in depth because He has some things He wants to show me.  I am just starting Chapter 5, and I must say it is so exciting and interesting. I have to admit, though, that when I got to Chapter 3, it just looked like one of those boring chapters: it gave all the boring details about each section of the wall of Jerusalem that was being rebuilt, and gave countless names of the people who rebuilt each section.  I was going to skip it and move on to Chapter 4 when I felt the Lord nudge me to look deeper--that there was something here that He wanted to show me.   So I dutifully sought the Lord (and a research book, and the internet!) , and was ASTOUNDED at the incredible layers of symbolism in the names of the gates!  It has turned out to be my favorite chapter so far.  :)  God is incredibly amazing, huh?   The big picture that He has shown me so far?  Eve

Your "Fairy-Tale" Life

Your life may not look like a fairy tale, and it may certainly not FEEL like a fairy tale, but I am going to attempt to prove to you today that your Christian walk parallels a fairy-tale life.  😊  Initially, this may sound almost blasphemous to you, but I am so certain that I received this directly from God.  I pray that it encourages you to believe that God is working in your situation whether you see evidence of it or not.  He is such a good God, and such a big God.  😊 First, I would like to start with the main points that a speaker made at a Girls Ministries camp that I attended a few weeks ago, which were the springboard for what God revealed to me. • It took a lot of courage for Cinderella to respond to the prince’s invitation to the ball because of how her family made her feel. • It also took a lot of courage for Mary to obey and follow God’s plan for her life. • If we agree to follow Jesus and accept His invitation, and keep our eyes on Him, He will take us on a beau

This was amazing!

I'm so sorry.  I AM working on a new post, but to tide you over until then (I should have it up by next Tuesday), I found this on YouTube and was so encouraged and inspired by it.  I will post the story behind the song, and then the link to the song itself.  I hope this blesses you! Story behind the song "Tell Your Heart To Beat Again" Lyric Video Have a bright, beaming, better-than-average day!  :)