Skip to main content

Amazed ...


... by my daughter.
Yesterday we went to gymnastics, and as I was watching her, I noticed she did one of the moves a little bit sloppy (a keyword in gymnastics is "tight"!). Her intructor pointed it out in a humorous way (not making fun of her--just pointing it out). Ashley just smiled ('cause she knew it was a little sloppy) and agreed while listening to her instructor give her tips on how to do it next time.


All of a sudden it dawned on me the HUGE difference between us at that age. I had the self-confidence of an amoeba at that age, and if someone had told me that something needed a little correcting, I would have curled up in a mental fetal position for days (literally), beating myself up over something so insignificant.


I truly am amazed by so many things about her:


  • her strong sense of self at such a young age

  • her ability to know her strengths and weaknesses (a large part of them, anyway) as well as her likes and dislikes

  • her strong moral character

  • her extremely bubbly personality

  • her ability to light up a room

  • her ability to truly connect to and care deeply about people in her life (I sooo had no clue how to do that at her age)

  • that she can play like a six-year-old one minute and verbally spar with me like an adult the next minute

  • her ability to know when people are treating her appropriately and when they're not ... and the ability to decide if a relationship is worth pursuing based on how she's treated (i.e. she doesn't put up with--or hang out with--people who don't treat her well)

  • her ability to not let the "bad" parts of life quench her spirit.

  • her mind-boggling intelligence

  • her strong affinity for the stage (I am soooo the opposite, lol! I worked very hard at being "invisible," which was very hard to do with my "coke bottle" glasses!)

It truly moves me to tears that she's so "together" at such a young age. I deeply appreciate her in ways I can't express.

Comments

DonnaG said…
I love Ashley! She is what I want Sarah to be like as she grows. Carmela, your daughter is a gem!
Anonymous said…
I love my niece too and notice many of the things you pointed out so well! She is awesome. It's funny because in that particular picture she looks SO much like you.
Same here, I would like Isabella to have many of the same traits as Ashley. If only I could "will" them all to her :)
tjep said…
I agree with Donna, Ashley is just lovely! I love her outgoing-ness!
Enjoy these moments!
Anonymous said…
ok now i feel really touched. thnk you all for your lovely coments on me! donna and teena thanks
! i would love to bee sarah's role model! and uncle chris... i would love love love for isabella to be like me. not to be conceited or anything! but anyways thank you all so much! i love you all family or not!
*ashley*

Popular posts from this blog

Nehemiah: Sheep Gate (Symbolism)

hubpages.com http://www.prayfordetroit.com/ As I mentioned in my Nehemiah  post, God has nudged me this summer to study Nehemiah in depth because He has some things He wants to show me.  I am just starting Chapter 5, and I must say it is so exciting and interesting. I have to admit, though, that when I got to Chapter 3, it just looked like one of those boring chapters: it gave all the boring details about each section of the wall of Jerusalem that was being rebuilt, and gave countless names of the people who rebuilt each section.  I was going to skip it and move on to Chapter 4 when I felt the Lord nudge me to look deeper--that there was something here that He wanted to show me.   So I dutifully sought the Lord (and a research book, and the internet!) , and was ASTOUNDED at the incredible layers of symbolism in the names of the gates!  It has turned out to be my favorite chapter so far.  :)  God is incredibly amazing, huh?   The big picture that He has shown me so far?  Eve

Your "Fairy-Tale" Life

Your life may not look like a fairy tale, and it may certainly not FEEL like a fairy tale, but I am going to attempt to prove to you today that your Christian walk parallels a fairy-tale life.  😊  Initially, this may sound almost blasphemous to you, but I am so certain that I received this directly from God.  I pray that it encourages you to believe that God is working in your situation whether you see evidence of it or not.  He is such a good God, and such a big God.  😊 First, I would like to start with the main points that a speaker made at a Girls Ministries camp that I attended a few weeks ago, which were the springboard for what God revealed to me. • It took a lot of courage for Cinderella to respond to the prince’s invitation to the ball because of how her family made her feel. • It also took a lot of courage for Mary to obey and follow God’s plan for her life. • If we agree to follow Jesus and accept His invitation, and keep our eyes on Him, He will take us on a beau

This was amazing!

I'm so sorry.  I AM working on a new post, but to tide you over until then (I should have it up by next Tuesday), I found this on YouTube and was so encouraged and inspired by it.  I will post the story behind the song, and then the link to the song itself.  I hope this blesses you! Story behind the song "Tell Your Heart To Beat Again" Lyric Video Have a bright, beaming, better-than-average day!  :)