Skip to main content

HAPPY B-DAY/MOM'S DAY TO ME :)




Has it really been almost a month since I've posted? Oh my gosh. Sorry about that. I really have nothing to blame it on except laziness when the kids go to bed.




But ... a lot has happened ...




... including my 40th birthday. It was a lot better than 30. I remember when I turned 30 I had sort of an identity crisis--as long as I was in my twenties, I was "young" and "hip." (well, in all honesty, I was never young and hip, but it was easier to fool myself into believing I was, lol!). When I turned thirty, I remember thinking, "Oh my gosh, I'm OLD!!" I remember that thought haunting me for days before and after my actual birthday. This time it was like, "Yeah, whatever. Another year older ... another year wiser. It's fine." The best part of getting older is that I really am mellowing with age--things that used to stress me out beyond belief will hardly cause me to bat an eye now. And I truly like myself way more now than I did at 30. I think I was fixated on my flaws. Now, they're still there, but I'm able to really appreciate the good parts in a way I couldn't before.




Okay, enough sappy rambling. Let's get to the good stuff.




My 40th birthday was celebrated in a very quiet way--just the way I like. My husband felt badly that he didn't plan a surprise party for me, and I was like, "NO WAY." I really liked that it was just a quiet celebration with two of my best friends (one is from college), my sister-in-law, and my nieces and nephews. I felt extra special because Carlito surprised me in the morning and opted to go to work late so we could spend an hour in a park by our house, sipping Starbucks and chatting. That was my favorite part of that day. In the evening, he came home WAY early to have dinner with us, and then we had a few people over for dessert.




Fast forward to Mother's Day: I was really anticipating nothing special. We got up and were almost ready to go to church when Carlito tells Ashley to write something on his laptop. Then he has Carlos write something on his laptop. I'm like, "Oh, he didn't get a card, so he's going to have them write something. That's fine." Then he asks me to come over and read it. So I do. It's cute (he has like a Wacom tablet, so it was their actual writing). Then I close it and this is what I see:




Honestly, I couldn't believe it. I was like, "Oh, did he make the desktop like another card?" Then they tell me it's mine. I was in a total state of shock. Carlito had already explained to me that a 40th birthday merits an extra special gift. I had been wanting a laptop for some time, but absolutely could not justify the expense.


Then ... as if that's not enough ... I see this tiny icon, and I couldn't believe it.


I was over the top excited and in shock!! I had to restrain myself from using it right away because it was time for church. I had to restrain myself from daydreaming about my new laptop and PS CS3 during church. Then I played with it, and created a few layouts. I'll show you two tonight, and I'll show you the others when I write about my special Mother's Day (hopefully tomorrow, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you :)).


This is me playing with "Paths" in Photoshop. You can draw a line and the text will follow the line or shape you drew.
This is the shirt Carlos wore on Mother's Day. I thought it was so cute, so we had a "mini photoshoot" and I scrapbooked it. In a couple of years he won't possibly be caught dead wearing that shirt, so I'll enjoy it now. :)

Comments

Samantha said…
OOOHHH!!! Happy Birthday and Happy Mother's Day to you!! I LOVE the new laptop and I'm already looking forward to the amazing pages that you'll be creating thanks to it! Enjoy!

P.S. I adore Carlos' shirt!
tjep said…
Well...Happy 40th Birthday!!!
And how lucky you are to have such a thoughtful husband who knows exactly what you wanted!!!

And Carlos' shirt is too cute!!!
Run-alyn said…
Oh how fun! HAPPY BELATED.. BIRTHDAY!!! How sweet of your family! Oh I'm so glad you had a great day!!! And yes.. embrace yourself, flaws and all :) It's a great feeling.. to accept you for you :) Again.. sorry I missed this post! But happy belated birthday!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Just another day ...

Today was a full day. The workers put in our patio door ... sooooooooo excited to have this door!!! The pictures look much less than impressive b/c I didn't take time to play around with them in Photoshop (CSI: Miami is on so I'm glued to the T.V, plus I have a huge load of laundry to fold still). I'm so thrilled to have this door that, good pic or not, I have to share. Like I said, we've never done anything like this before, so every little thing excites me beyond belief :-D They worked on it all day, having to break out a rather large section of the wall, take out a window and door, and move our electrical outlet and porch light. And as you can tell, they have to finish tomorrow. This is the view from the inside: This is the view from the outside: It was strange to have them in my house. But apparently, in deference to my "feminine ears," they decided to refrain from using their Spanish cuss words. That was nice :) Plus our washer is on the blink (has bee...

Favorite Things

Things that make me smile and sometimes laugh: my family Starbucks with friends reading blogs :) parking the car in the driveway of our "new" house, lol! Oh, I guess I've forgotten to take a picture to show, huh? bantering with Ashley (the good kind of bantering--not the kind that gives me gray hairs!) My Missionettes girls (I think we've already been over the fact that even though they all have parents, they're still "my" girls!) breakfast with friends (Hi, Teena!) my new XTi :) Photoshop Elements (one of my best friends 'cause it makes me look like I take good pictures, lol!) scrapbooking (digital and regular) Crock Pot dinners (If I wasn't a Christian I would worship the person(s) who invented it) women friends in general the words Carlos mispronounces (washmouth instead of mouthwash, it's "between the rules" instead of "against the rules," and "overfloat" instead of overflow) I, of course encourag...

"Cool" Lunch

I usually make Ashley take her lunch three days out of the week (she "gets" to buy on the other two days, even though she doesn't actually eat the food--part of the whole "fit in with the crowd" issue) . I was having a SERIOUSLY hard time getting her to bring her lunch, and it occurred to me one day that if she took "fancier" sandwiches, she might not fight it so much. So ... I started making Chicken Salad and getting various toppings (she likes the jars of roasted peppers, pepperoncinis, alfalfa sprouts, tomato, etc.) as well as buying bolillos or other fancier sandwich breads. That went over well. It went over so well that her friends would ask for a taste, and rave about how yummy the sandwich was. They were actually jealous of Ashley's lunch (yeah! now she won't be the "geek" who brings her lunch; she'll be the girl who brings cool lunches--mission accomplished and then some!) . One of her friends I know rather well, because...